We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

Kuala Lumpur...
30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

I have a question regarding luggage. I will travel to egypt this september to further my studies there. The thing is i am confused on which luggage to bring. Which is better, bring a 30kg luggage or 1 15kg luggage + other bag.

If i bring 1 30kg luggage, i only have to carry 1 bag excluding my bag pack. but my dad said that it is very heavy and i will not be able to carry it.

if i bring 2 separate bag, i think it will be a fuss as i have to carry 3 bag including my bag pack. but this way, i don't have to carry a 30kg items as one. so, when i have to carry my things, i can carry it one by one.

which is better?? thanks and sorry for my bad english

15 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

The best option will probably depend on the baggage policy of your airline - some don't allow 30kg bags.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 67
2. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

Why don't you get your large bag and fill it with bricks then see if you can lift it or not. that will answer your question.

I'm afraid we don't know if you are a 200kg male weightlifter or a 50kg petite little lady. Your dad does know you so I would listen to him Again like Tom said, unless you are flying business normally 23Kg is your limit.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 100
3. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

Just listen to your father, he knows best :)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
4. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

30 kgs is too heavy, you will be better with 2 x15kgs bags and you're backpack as you're balancing out the weight

Kuala Lumpur...
5. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

i am an 18 years old girl. Thank you so much for the answer! :D

Edited: 10:44 pm, June 18, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
6. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

My husband doubted I could tow two roller bags at once, one in either hand, but I have proved him wrong :-)

You could look for those bags that stack one on top of the other on the same trolley frame so you only have one thing to tow.

But, as has been pointed out,

-most airlines charge an extra fee for bags over 23kg (even if your baggage allowance is 30kg) if they allow them at all,

-getting it off the luggage carousel at the airport is also going to provide challenges,

-if you want to do short weekend trips etc while you're away, having a smaller bag will be more useful than having a huge bag with two days' worth of stuff rattling around in it :-)

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

Either way you are still carrying the same amount of stuff so the weight you have to carry is no different.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
8. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

That's true, but carrying it all in one big lump or in two separate chunks is a lot different.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 25
9. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

30Kgs is fine to push around on wheels or a trolley but at some point you will have to lift it, or push it uphill, or the really big one.... a set of stairs. Get a 30 kg bag and go shopping with it, see how it goes.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 86
10. Re: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?

Things are much more easier if you have one hand free even when you are dragging your luggage along. This is why I prefer a backpack as my piece of hand luggage.

Do you really need to pack 30 kilos instead of 20-23 kgs? Egypt should be a cheap enough place for buying any additional clothing that you may feel like needing.

Reply to: 30kg bag vs 15kg bag + another bag. Which is better?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted