We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest experts

Springfield...
reviews: 28
Southwest experts

Hi,

I just checked in and the boarding pass says:

GROUP A

POSITION 57

What is position 57? The seat?

We paid the extra for early bird.

Thank you so much

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
1. Re: Southwest experts

southwest.com/html/…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Southwest experts

The number A 57 means that when they call the A group(the first group) to line up you will look on the numbered posts and stand in line at the post nearest 57 to board. Then you will be able to get on the plane and pick your seat.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Southwest experts

I just want to add that being in the A group is a good thing!

There are 2 more groups after that(Band C) so you'll have the best chance to pick the seat that you want.

Springfield...
reviews: 28
4. Re: Southwest experts

Thank you so much

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Southwest experts

As the previous poster said, A is the first group and you're number 57, so you're roughly the 57th person to get on the plane. Although keep in mind usually Southwest flights come from somewhere else and there are usually a handful of people on the plane already from the previous destination.

But it means you'll definitely get an overhead space if you have a carry on. And probably an aisle seat if you don't mind being towards the middle or back or you can be towards the front if you'll take a middle or a window. Figure about 30 rows with 6 seats is 180 seats on the plane and there will be 60 or so people on ahead of you.

Rochester, NY
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
6. Re: Southwest experts

Is the no assigned seating thing an issue? I'm kind of worried about it. There will be two of us. Are we unlikely to sit together? Does everyone not get overhead room?

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Southwest experts

The no assigned seating is an issue if you want an overhead bin and want seats together and don't want to pay for the early boarding option.

No, everyone does not get overhead room. Like any plane, when full, there are more people that want the space than there are space available. If you want to get space, you probably need to be in the A, or maybe high B group. That means buying the early boarding option.

There is also no guarantee you will sit together. The likelihood again depends on how high up in the boarding group you are.

If you do not buy the early boarding option, the rest of the boarding positions are assigned by when you check in. Check in opens 24hrs ahead of departure. Sometimes you can get an OK boarding position if you check in EXACTLY when it opens. A lot of people do that, though, so there's no guarantee you'll get an overhead or two seats together.

Rochester, NY
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
8. Re: Southwest experts

My itinerary is through Airtran because it's International, so I don't see a way to purchase the Early Bird option. I can check in 24 hours ahead before we go, but on the way home I may not. The Southwest portion is only from here to BWI, so it's not too long, so I guess I'll just have to suffer through it.

I honestly have never been on a plane where the overheads were completely full. Maybe not right above me, but I've never not been able to put my stuff overhead. I am not sure I understand the concept behind no seating assignments, and this is reminding me of standing in line for a concert that is standing room only, lol! This will be an experience : )

Rochester, NY
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
9. Re: Southwest experts

Actually, it's International, so I can't check in online, so I can't even do the 24 hours early on the way. Bummer!

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Southwest experts

I personally don't understand it either, but have colleagues who swear the plane loads faster if you just let people take any empty seat. I have to admit, Southwest is fantastic at getting the plane turned around and back in the air.

I've been on tons of flights where the overheads are full. Not sure how you've managed to avoid it. I would say most of the flights I've been on, when the flight is 80% full, they are collecting roller board bags at the gate because there is no room left on the plane and they won't even let you try to find a spot.