We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

Loma Linda...
Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

I will be fying to the U.S. (final destination LAX) from Frankfurt/Germany in few weeks. I was told by the airline (Air Berlin operated by American Airlines) that I don't have to pick up my luggage to go through U.S. customs once I make it to Dallas and that I should be able to catch the connecting flight with no issues. Can you confirm this? In my previous experience I always needed to pick up my luggage when going through a port of entry and before taking my connecting flight. They changed my flight and my connection time went from 3h to 1.5h and since I'm traveling with a child, I'm concerned.

Edited: 8:06 am, June 18, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

You will have to pick up luggage to clear customs after you pass through Immigration before handing it back to AA for your connecting flight.

I would have stuck with the 3 hr connection time as wait times at Immigration could easily be 1 hr.

Loma Linda...
2. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

The thing is that I haven't changed the flight. The airline did. I called them today to see what can be done and was told that this was the only connecting flight and that the old flight was cancelled. He also said that it's the last connection for that day.

Edited: 8:38 am, June 18, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

"I don't have to pick up my luggage to go through U.S. customs once I make it to Dallas and that I should be able to catch the connecting flight with no issues."

Based simply on that statement, the person you were talking to has no clue. While it is possible to make it in an hour and a half, it is unlikely. There are many flights to LAX from DFW. The FRA flight leaves at 10:30 and gets in to DFW at 14:00. I count good connections on at least 6 flights to LAX from DFW. Call them back. The last flight of the day is at 22:55. But then, you never said when you were flying.

You can also connect to a non-stop LAX flight in London.

Edited: 9:09 am, June 18, 2013
Loma Linda...
4. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

It sounded like he had no clue but he said that talked to his supervisor. I told him that I ALWAYS had to get my luggage. I'm supposed to fly out on July 30.

UK
reviews: 26
5. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

Even if you didn't have to pick up luggage a 1.5 hour connection on arrival in the USA is extremely tight - you have to allow about an hour just to go through Immigration.

Collecting luggage doesn't actually add an awful lot of extra time because your bags will already be tagged to your final destination - all you have to do is pick them up, go through Customs and put them on the carousel the other side (no queuing involved) - it's Immigration that's going to delay you, and I think that 1.5 hours is a near-impossible connection for your first port of entry to the USA.

Re answer No 3 - are those connections with a carrier that code-shares with Air Berlin? It's unlikely that Air Berlin would book passengers onto a flight that isn't with a code share or alliance partner. (Air Berlin are Oneworld)

Edited: 9:25 am, June 18, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

Call them back and try to talk to another person. When I get an answer I don't like, I'm surprised how often that works. Some phone agents are better than others. If you got a bad one for this call, call again.

With the exception of a couple airports where you pre-clear US immigration and customs at your point of departure, you always have to collect bags at your point of entry to the US, in your case Dallas.

7. Re: Frankfurt to Dallas to Los Angeles - luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 20, 2014