We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

delayed baggage compensation advice

UK
reviews: 4
delayed baggage compensation advice

Hello, Im just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I flew with KLM with my wife and 2 children aged 1 and 3 in may to Brazil. On the plane, they said due to a computer problem almost all the bags were not on the plane. We got there, and we were without 4 cases and a child seat. We weren't sure what to do as KLM were pretty useless and didn't know when we would get our bags. We contacted our insurer and they said we had an small allowance for delayed bags, so we managed to buy some things for the 1st day for all of us.

It took another 5 days for KLM to send our cases to the airport nearest to us (we had to go and collect them, they wouldn't send them to where we were staying, which was a 120 mile round trip). We told KLM that about our insurer, and they said it was fine, just keep any receipts of additional things we needed to buy and we would be refunded within 7 days of our return.

So, it is nearly a month after our return. Our insurer has settled our claim, but KLM are an absolue knightmare to get any compensation out of. They initially closed out claim because we involved another insurer, even though we rang and told them what we were doing and they said it was fine. They have seen our claim with the insurer, and we have sent them all correspondance. The claims are totally separate and obviously we are not claiming twice for the same things (which they must know as they can see all the details with our insurer)

They take for ever to reply to messages, don't read them properly and just shut the claim at any opportunity. The call centre is in france, which is fine but I am sick and tired of explaining the case over and over again.

Does anyone have any advice? There doesnt seem to be any ombudsman for airlines. Does anyone know the address to a mananger here in the UK or something that would help?

If it wasn't enough to pretty much ruin our family holiday, they are also doing their best to cause me finacial difficulties through no fault of my own, and I find their they just don't really care once they have had thier money. Its an absolute battle to get anywhere with them.

Thanks for reading and any advice

45 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 20
1. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

The montreal convention is the piece of legislation regarding delayed/damaged luggage....but I don't know if that applies for klm, normally you can't claim off both, as your insurer has paid out and they will then more than likely claim back from the airline. Read up on thr montreal convention and see if it applies for you...

UK
2. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

Ok thanks. I told KLM what we were doing and they said it was fine. The claims are for separate items. First 24 hours are with insurer, the next 4 days with KLM as we were only covered for so much

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
3. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

If your travel insurance covered essential purchases, what would you like to receive from KLM?

UK
4. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

The insurer covered emergency purchases, enough to buy things for 1 day or so. We needed to buy swimming clothes, clothes to go out on a night, more clothes for the kids, we had to hire a child seat for 3 weeks because that was one of the items that was delayed. We had to travel a round trip of 120 miles to collect our cases when they finally arrived because they wouldn't send them to where we were staying. You get the picture.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
5. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

I don't fancy your chances with KLM - it seems your insurer paid out for essentials items during the baggage delay which is the limit of most airlines liability and when you have insurance coverage most airlines refer you to them.

I am confused as to your reference to the insurer paying out for one day - in my experience insurers will allow claims for essentials for the whole delay period but this could vary from policy to policy.

I suspect KLM are assuming your insurer paid for all your essential items but I suspect that neither KLM or the insurer will regard "swimming clothes" as essential although I can see why you thought them desirable.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
6. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

I know my policy covers for £200 for emergency goods if my baggage is delayed by more than 12 hours, which would be enough for 5 days worth of clothes and toiletries etc.

UK
7. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

Yes it's not essential but when we spent the best part of £3000 on tickets for a holiday, but we have to go out and buy swimming clothes so we can go swimming because KLM have delayed all our luggage for 5 days I don't see why we should be out of pocket.

And there is also the fact that KLM told me via at least 2 or 3 phone calls to buy what we needed and they would refund it.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 20
8. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

Quote the Montreal Convention, liability of 1131sdrs, get exchange rate off www. xe.com.thst should hopefully cover your claim with klm.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

If I were you I would stick to requesting compensation to cover your genuine out of pocket expenses. Those look to me to be the child seat rental and travel costs in getting to the airport to retrieve your luggage, and possibly the phone calls if you have receipts/proof of the costs of those calls (your cellphone bill?). At the end of the day, you did get everything back.

UK
10. Re: delayed baggage compensation advice

Yes We got everything back.....after we had to go and buy things to last 4 people 5 days. I just dont see how it's ok for us to be out of pocket because it took 5 days to actually deliver our luggage. Not much fun been on holiday with no things, especially small children.

Anyway, guess we will just have to keep trying and take them to small claims if we get no where, because at the end of the day we were just doing what they told us over the phone and have now gone back on.

Reply to: delayed baggage compensation advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted