We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

I booked a flight for my 13 year old who was traveling alone. I wanted to book the child in as an "unaccompanied minor" so the airline could take charge of his trip all the way to his destination. So I spoke to the airline first, they said the agent needs to book him in as they controlled the booking. I called holidaygenie, and they pointed me back to the airline! Upon probing, it turned out they had had some poor experiences in the past and had unilaterally decided not to take unaccompanied minor bookings. The lady representing them was unhelpful and showed no consideration for my plight. She even encouraged me to complain to the OFT when I pondered taking action!

I then called the airline back, narrated the story, and they said they could do it if holidaygenie would include me on the ticket as an authorised individual to represent my child. I then requested holidaygenie to help, and here's their response -

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately due to Data Protection, the airline will only liaise with the passenger directly or via the travel agent."

This really puts me in a difficult spot, with holidaygenie not willing to help in anyway even though the buck stops with them. In this instance they were only £20 cheaper, so in hindsight I should have gone with the more established agents or the airline rather than suffer at the hands of this shoddy operator.

uk
reviews: 147
1. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

Your unfortunate experience is yet another reason why people should book direct with the airline

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
2. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

I've got to agree with Jeremy, and especially more so in your circumstance when there is an unaccompanied minor travelling it is always wiser to book direct with the airline.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
3. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

20 pounds eh? A lot of trouble to save that...

uk
reviews: 73
4. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

Yep - you've come to the right conclusion - some agents are cheap for a reason and the saving is usually just not worth it.

London, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

£20 ? That's some impressive parsimony. Has to be said.:-))

As others have said, always better to deal with the airline, and when it comes to unaccompanied children, pick up the phone or email and be sure, before parting with cash.

So what's the outcome, what will you do? Forfeit the money and buy another ticket?

Illinois
reviews: 16
6. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

You don't say what airline it is, but with Delta you can sign up for and pay for the UAM service at checkin. I don't know if that's still true if you have not booked through the airline, though.

7. Re: holidaygenie.com: pathetic customer service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 19, 2014