We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stansted and Ryanair

London, UK.
reviews: 13
Stansted and Ryanair

Hi there,

Me and my wife are taking National Express coach from London Stratford to Stansted on Saturday morning (arriving to Stansted around 5pm). We are arriving to Stansted around 2 hours (1 hour 50 minutes) before our flight takes off. We are flying with Ryanair and will be checking in online and will not drop any bags, only hand luggage.

Is 1 hour 50 minutes enough to pass through security check and go to the departure gate? It would be sufficient in any other airport I flew from in the past, but I have heard that Stansted is very slow with security check.

Thank you in advance.

9 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 77
1. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

Is 1 hour 50 minutes enough to pass through security check and go to the departure gate? It would be sufficient in any other airport I flew from in the past, but I have heard that Stansted is very slow with security check.

------

No one can know until the day, queues vary, a couple of staff less on security, an ray scanner not working, a mild extra security scare, an extra search of your bag, who knows. You also show a touching faith in the ability of a bus service travelling on one of the UK's most congested roads to arrive on time. I'd take an earlier coach unless there is something very important you could be doing with the time you save.

You also appear to have made a mistake, you say you are arriving "in the morning at 5pm". But even if you are travelling at 5am that doesn't mean there will be no traffic, I've been stuck in jams in the early hours due to roadworks,

Edited: 8:44 am, June 17, 2013
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

Hi

Stansted is manic at 5am, 5pm usually not so bad.

Jackie

Edinburgh
reviews: 3
3. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

He's arriving at 5.00 in the morning, so traffic is going to be busy! There hasn't even been any allowances made for traffic delays and check-in closes about 45 minutes before flight.

I personally wouldn't chance leaving it so tight time wise.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 31
4. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

It wouldn't be long enough for me, even though they've no bags to drop off. No leeway for traffic delays, and boarding closes 20 mins before departure.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 22
5. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

We have missed a coach from Victoria because of traffic problems, it is a nightmare even at 5am

London, UK.
reviews: 13
6. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

Thank you All.

We are arriving to Stansted at 5am (sorry for the mistake in time). I did not realise that the traffic was going to be busy. We flew from Gatwick early morning last year and took a cab and there was no traffic.

But following your suggestions I will take earlier coach that should arrive to Stansted at around 4.10am. So I we will have 2.5 hours prior to our departure. Hopefully this should be enough even at Stansted.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 56
7. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

If we have a morning flight we always spend the night before at an airport hotel. There is no way we would risk missing our flight due to getting stuck in traffic etc.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

I last was at Stanstead at 5am a couple of months back and there was not that much traffic on the roads, however the airport was packed. I think you are doing the right thing by taking the earlier coach, better safe than sorry.

Edinburgh
reviews: 3
9. Re: Stansted and Ryanair

Traveller from UK, like yourself we have a 3.00am check-in and rather than risk being caught in traffic, breaking down etc, etc we have booked a room at a Travelodge at the airport for the night before.

Reply to: Stansted and Ryanair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted