We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Howden, United...
reviews: 79
Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

We are flying out to bangkok on 6th August for our honeymoon and really want to use the Austrain Airlines smart bid upgrade on the flight from Vienna to Bangkok. I have searched all over the internet and cant find out anyone who has used this yet. On the website the sliding scale goes from £250 to £1400 to upgrade from economy to business class. We paid £600 each for our return tickets from London to Bangkok and have been offered the smart bid option. Right now they have business class seats on our outward flight from london to bangkok for £780 but since we got a deal we are not able to pay the extra so have to bid. Does anyone have any idea of how much we should offer. Were thinking about £400 each just for the flight from Vienna to Bangkok. Many thanks for any help.

11 replies to this topic
Exeter, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Bid only what you are prepared to pay.

Beccles, United...
reviews: 35
2. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

It will totally depend on how many other passengers on your flight decide to place a bid, and how many empty seats there are available. It could be that no-one else bids, so you could place a bid for the lowest amount and 'win the auction'. Or several people are bidding on just a few seats, and as it is a blind auction you wont know how much they are bidding, so bidding your £400 might just be enough, or on the other hand it could be £150 too much.

I would be tempted to just bid the lowest amount and feel good if I won, but not too disappointed if my low bid was rejected.

Good luck with your bidding! Just mention at check-in that you are on your honeymoon.. you never know they might upgrade you for free if they have any mt seats.

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

"Just mention at check-in that you are on your honeymoon.. you never know they might upgrade you for free if they have any mt seats"

yeah right!

as tho the check in staff haven't heard that 50 times before that day.

;-)

Beccles, United...
reviews: 35
4. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Pessimist v Optimist...I know which one I'd rather be.

50 times that day...maybe, but if you are the only couple with your spanking brand new marriage certificate inside your passport...again you just never know, and there is no harm in trying.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Optimist v Realist....I guess which one lien is.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

again you just never know, and there is no harm in trying.

_________

There is. On other frequent flyer forums airline staff have posted and said one of the things that pisses them off the most is people wangling for free upgrades and they have actively noted passenger reservations as "Not Suitable For Upgrade" when people try it on.

My view is that if paying to upgrade to business class isn't deemed important enough for you to do yourself then why should the airline do it for free? Personally if I want to fly business or first then I'll pay for it. I don't go into a Mercedes dealership and ask for an S Class for the price of an E Class because it's my birthday either!

Sanford, Florida
reviews: 8
7. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Has anybody placed a bid for less then what Austrian Airlines was suggesting & their bid was granted ?

Howden, United...
8. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

We bid £450 each from Vienna to Bangkok and it was accepted. Coming back we bid £300 each from bangkok to vienna and it was declined.

Sanford, Florida
reviews: 8
9. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

Do you remember what their suggested bid price was ?

Howden, United...
10. Re: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.

It didn't have a suggested bid as was a sliding scale from about £150 to £1200.

Reply to: Austrian Airlines Smart Bid Upgrade.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted