We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

Port Alberni, Canada
reviews: 9
Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

We are seeing a vast array of airlines listed for our trip. Haven't flown on most of the carriers before. What are the best ways to choose which is best in terms of quality, safety, etc.

Boston...
reviews: 25
1. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

It really depends what are looking to spend, most low cost airlines in Southeast Asia are very good, I will definitely check Air Asia, Vietnam Airlines or either Tiger Airways. I'm not sure if you are planning to go to HCMC first and then to Hanoi or viceversa. Also, depends on how much time you have to spend in Vietnam, you probably want to take the bus up or down. If you choose to flight between cities, Vietnam Airlines is a very good choice, cheap and service is excellent.

Cathay Pacific is one of the best in Asia, maybe you want to fly to HKG from Vancouver and then head to Vietnam, are you planning to visit any other countries?

Port Alberni, Canada
reviews: 9
2. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

We ate visiting Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are trying to decide whether to fly to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh to start trip and which airline to use. For such a long haul trip we are concerned about duration, quality, safety and of course the time of day the flight starts. For instance, Cathay pacific flights leave vancouver at 2:10 in the morning!! Way past my bedtime.

Thanks for your help with this.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
3. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

For quality you want Asiana (SEA) or Korean (SEA and YVR) - I've done both, and prefer Asiana

Boston...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

The option to go to either Hanoi or HCMC first depends on the kind of trip that you want to do and the things that you want to see on each part. Consider the time of the year and what is your budget.

I haven't been to Laos yet so I can't really give you any advice on that country. There is a tour from Saigon that ends up with a boat which brings you to Phnon Penh. That's a good a idea if you have time and want to see more. I'm assuming you want to visit Siem Reap, that's a 7 hrs ride from PP.

Keep in mind that you are going to be traveling to places with a 12hrs time difference from home. You will need a least one day to get use to the change. I'm not sure if you have taken long flights before but there are many things that you can do to get ready and not to find the trip too exhausting.

An idea perhaps could be to split the flying time, maybe go to a country where you can spend a day or two and then continue onto your final destination and go from there.

Like I said before, maybe use an international airline to a main airport hub and then take a low cost carrier from there to your final destination.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 31
5. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

I live in Vancouver and visited Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia on a 5 week trip in April/May 2010. I travelled first to Vietnam, then Laos and ended with Cambodia.

I used Cathay Pacific for the trans Pacific portion flying from Vancouver to Ho Chi Minh City (via Hong Kong) on Cathay and returning from Phnom Phen via Hong Kong (using Drogonair, a Cathay subsidiary and Cathay from HKG). This was all on one ticket and very reasonably priced. I booked these flights online at the Cathay Pacific Canada website.

I took advantaged of the free stopover offered and stayed in Hong Kong for several days on the return before coming back to Canada. Cathay Pacific has 2 flights a day out of Vancouver. I prefer the 2:10am flight. (You actually check-in before midnight.) It's 14 hours long and I am always able to sleep on the flight. It arrives in Hong Kong at 7:55am local time and there's a very good connection to HCMC at about 9:30am I believe.

In Vietnam I used Vietnam Airlines. Very inexpensive for domestic flights. New planes. On time. I also flew Vietnam Airlines from Hanoi to Vientiene and from Luang Prabang to Siem Riep. Vietnam airlines also flies nonstop directly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang if you wish to skip Ventiane. All flights booked on their website.

Between Vientiene and Luang Prabang I flew Lao Airlines which I also booked directly online.

Bottom line. For this itinerary from Vancouver, booking Cathay Pacific is your best bet in terms of schedule and price. Fly into Ho Chi Minh City first then make your way to Hanoi, then to Laos, then Cambodia (and then if you have time you could even visit Bangkok and fly back to Vancouver on Cathay from there!).

Edited: 6:29 pm, June 17, 2013
6. Re: Vancouver to Hanoi or Ho chi Minh city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014