We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 61
Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

I'm an ex-pat American living in Switzerland....and I need to replace my large voltage transformer. I am traveling from the U.S. back home and to save money and baggage space, I figured I'd throw the new transformer, which is really quite heavy (25lbs or so) into my carry-on and save some checked baggage capacity for other items. I figure since they rarely weigh carry-ons for compliance, I might be able to get away with this approach.

Has anyone ever tried to fly with something like this? I can't find any explicit prohibitions against such an item on the TSA website, but it seems like a giant device like that might draw some attention (i.e. red-flags) going through the scanners. Thoughts?

9 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

I'd say that so long as you fit within the regs you'll be OK. Watch packed dimensions as well as weight

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 222
2. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Can't see any issue. I regularly carry on over 50 pounds of camera gear and never had an issue.

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 61
3. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go. I guess it just seemed like something that would raise some questions since it's a heavy metal box filled with wires...but it's obviously harmless so I'm probably just over-thinking it.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

It will most likely get a secondary search after going through x-ray. Once they look at it and realize it is not a container of something dangerous they should allow it.

Evanston, Illinois
5. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Did you try it? I am considering taking a very similar item as a carry-on and wondered if any red flags were raised.

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

It depends entirely what the airline is.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
7. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Have you called the airline?

Evanston, Illinois
8. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Can you be more specific? I am flying Lufthansa.

UK
reviews: 89
9. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Lufthansa are well known for being very strict about the weight of hand luggage. Quite a few people have had rants here about this.

Reply to: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted