We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 62
Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

I'm an ex-pat American living in Switzerland....and I need to replace my large voltage transformer. I am traveling from the U.S. back home and to save money and baggage space, I figured I'd throw the new transformer, which is really quite heavy (25lbs or so) into my carry-on and save some checked baggage capacity for other items. I figure since they rarely weigh carry-ons for compliance, I might be able to get away with this approach.

Has anyone ever tried to fly with something like this? I can't find any explicit prohibitions against such an item on the TSA website, but it seems like a giant device like that might draw some attention (i.e. red-flags) going through the scanners. Thoughts?

9 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

I'd say that so long as you fit within the regs you'll be OK. Watch packed dimensions as well as weight

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
2. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Can't see any issue. I regularly carry on over 50 pounds of camera gear and never had an issue.

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 62
3. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go. I guess it just seemed like something that would raise some questions since it's a heavy metal box filled with wires...but it's obviously harmless so I'm probably just over-thinking it.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

It will most likely get a secondary search after going through x-ray. Once they look at it and realize it is not a container of something dangerous they should allow it.

Evanston, Illinois
5. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Did you try it? I am considering taking a very similar item as a carry-on and wondered if any red flags were raised.

UK
reviews: 81
6. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

It depends entirely what the airline is.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
7. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Have you called the airline?

Evanston, Illinois
8. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Can you be more specific? I am flying Lufthansa.

UK
reviews: 81
9. Re: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?

Lufthansa are well known for being very strict about the weight of hand luggage. Quite a few people have had rants here about this.

Reply to: Large voltage transformer (3000W) ok for carry-on?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted