We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Australia

Royal Tunbridge...
First trip to Australia

I am traveling to Melbourne Australia March/April 2014 to see my brother,and thinking of booking now, as I want to get a good seat. Also I have had a look at flights available, and they range from around £600+ to £10000+. which is totally confusing, and also wondering what happens on the stopovers, when you have up to 4 hours wait, what airline is best for this, places to sit and eat etc, I do not want to be wondering around trying to find them, I suppose it is a good idea to phone around? Also my back is not too clever, so thinking of comfort also, any helpful suggestions at this stage would be good.

southern england
reviews: 25
1. Re: First trip to Australia

If your back is troublesome , try this idea............look at Emirates website, on multistop and fly from heathrow to dubai , stop one night near airport ,then fly to Singapore ,and stop one night or more if you prefer and then fly into Australia,return journey the same.My wife has a bad back and these flights are on average only 7-71/2 hours each and also day flights , which makes the whole process of getting to Aus a bit easier.This is only feasable if you can afford the extra time involved, the prices for this trip in Sept were below £1000 return , which i thought was good value.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
2. Re: First trip to Australia

I see on your profile you are from the UK, so you have lots of good choices through to Melbourne, you can fly via Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Dubai and others.

You might want to look at Premium Economy on Qantas , that would give you more comfort.

For connecting flights Singapore is superb :) also Singapore Airlines have several daily flights into Melbourne.

Sydney
reviews: 13
3. Re: First trip to Australia

In terms of good seat, make sure the airline you book it with will allow you to book seats prior to departure, especially if you book online.

if you're flying economy, there's no "good" seat. They're all about the same. If you get an exit row with extra leg space, you'll have less space width wise due to the table being on your armrest.

This far out, you might not get the best deals as airlines do their sales closer to the 6 month prior mark. Look around and keep watching the prices for a few weeks before you book. Sign up for newsletters on zuji/travelocity too. They are very reputable and generally have the lowest fares around.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: First trip to Australia

For £10k+ you're looking at first class fares, a completely different prospect to the cattle car experience of flying economy. Look on the airline's websites for all their premium cabin options (some have premium economy, business class and first) and see what's the best fit for your budget and needs. If you've got back issues certainly consider premium cabins (any self respecting business class has fully flat beds in business class) and/or a stopover in SE Asia or the Middle East.

Even for someone in good health a flight from the UK to Australia in economy is a miserable experience.

Melbourne
reviews: 2
5. Re: First trip to Australia

Another option is to compare prices when you travel London to BKK or see if you can get another conne tion from UK. Then fly economy to Australia from there. I used Royal Brunei economy. and Qatar business class. Their 878 dream liner is so well designed in business class. Omanair was another one that had a single row of seats by window. Altogether it cost me AU$3700 to combine airline fares. At this stage Qatar only fly dream liner o selected routes. Both Oman and Qatar have lie flat beds just check with Qatar as only Dream liner has a single row of window seats as does Oman air and this enables you to have a view and not have to climb over anyone if you need to leave your seat. Other alternative is to have. an aisle seat in the middle section of business.

Royal Brunei usually have cheaper business class deals than other carriers but don't have lie flat beds as yet. Think Malaysian airways have special a price J class now. Check airline websites and get yourself put on their mailing lists. Finn air is another option and flies direct from Helsinki to BKK so you can get a good sleep.

Edited: 3:34 pm, June 16, 2013
Melbourne
6. Re: First trip to Australia

Another business class option is Fin air which flies directly from Helsinki to BKK thus enabling you to enjoy a long sleep. This airline has a single row of window seats, all flat,in latest aircraft. of course they fly from UK to Helsinki.

Merseyside
reviews: 66
7. Re: First trip to Australia

Yet another option:

Royal Brunei fly from Heathrow to Melbourne. They sell their business class seats for around £2300-£2700 return - depending on when you travel.

They have a short stop in Dubai and another in Brunei before flying on to Melbourne.

You can use the lounges during these stop-overs.

They don't serve alcohol on these flights.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
8. Re: First trip to Australia

We've been to Australia twice (in 1991 and 2001 ) and took the opportunity to do stop overs in Singapore on the way there and Bangkok on the way back. We had 2 nights in each place and was able to explore a different country and then fly on to our destination (Brisbane) with lots of new experiences.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
9. Re: First trip to Australia

Their 878 dream liner is so well designed in business class

Is that like the 787?

Melbourne
10. Re: First trip to Australia

Probably, I thought I had it right so put in Dreamliner hoping someone would correct me if necessary- thanks for that.