We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

Hi, Wonder if you are able to advise me here...

My MAS flight arrives London at 5.50am at Terminal 4. I need to catch an Aer Lingus flight to Cork, Ireland, at 9.30am, Terminal 1.

Tickets bought separately so I need to claim my baggage at Terminal 4 first. I have one check-in luggage.

Do you think I'd be able to make it?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Niabail

25 replies to this topic
Loughborough...
1. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

I think this is the first arrival of the day into T4, but on the other hand it is an Airbus 380 so you will have a lot of fellow passengers. The main problem is likely to be UK immigration.and which nationality you are has an influence on how fast you get through this. It's certainly possible, but quite risky on two tickets.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

LHR T4 has seen substantial queues at immigration over the last two summers, with waiting times of up to two hours for some pax. There are flights from Boston and Brunei scheduled to arrive not long after your MH flight, so ideally there should be enough border agents on hand to deal with the numbers of pax in that early morning peak time.

After passport control and baggage collection, make your way to the rail station for the free Heathrow Express shuttle train to Heathrow Central, which serves T1 and T3. There are four trains an hour with travel time about five minutes.

The walk from Heathrow Central to T1 will take about seven to 10 minutes - there is a lift up from the subway to T1 Departures.

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

It's doable on a good day. No one can give you any assurance here. How many agents are on the non eu queue ( which I assume you are non eu?) and how long the queue is, and how long it takes to get through, depends on the pax in front of you v how many agents. You could be through in an hour, you could be there for two.

Could you miss it, yes you could. Could you make t, yes you could. Sit as close to the front as possible ( or if they disembark from the rear, the rear) and get off the plane as quickly as possible, don't loiter,go as fast as possible and get to immigration as quickly as possible.

Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 175
4. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

3 hours is more than perfect :)

London
reviews: 26
5. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

Aer Lingus check in at LHR closes 45 minutes before departure.

What is it going to cost you for a new flight to Ireland if your inbound flight is delayed for some reason, and you arrive at T4 after the other long haul passengers (3 more wide body planes arrive into T4 at 0630) are in the immigration queue ahead of you? I'm not saying your plan won't work - but I think it carries more risk than I would choose to accept.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

If you do the math, assume 20 mins from wheels down to commencing disembarking, so this takes you to 6.10. Assuming flight is on time and no holding at heathrow,

You then need to count back, you need to be at the aer lingus desk no later than 8.45, probably 8. 30 to be safe as the computers will shut down check in at 8.45. Assume twenty mins to get between terminals ie to get out of one, walk or catch train, get to check in desk, especially if unfamiliar with layout.. So you want to be be picking your bag up at 8.10 latest.

This gives you two hours to disembark, get through immigration and collect luggage. Doable, yes, absolutely, the big questions are how long will the queue be at immigration that day and will my inbound flight be on time.

So yes, it carries a risk and you need to have a back up plan in case something goes wrong, which sometimes it does.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

"3 hours is more than perfect :)"

Even if the OP's incoming flight is delayed by a couple of hours?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

>> 3 hours is more than perfect <<

Rubbish!

This is very risky indeed, given the potential long immigration lines at T4 and the not great land side transfer to T1.

rcspeirs is exactly right. If you fail to make check with Aer Lingus, or bag drop or the boarding gate, you'll be classed as a no show and your entire Aer Lingus ticket (for all flights on that ticket) will be cancelled. You'll have to buy a new ticket at the walk up fare which will likely make your eyes water.

Good luck and I hope you're okay, but you are very foolish to attempt this.

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

Absolutely agree with Lexexpress and USBT.You need everything to go right for you to make this.One little hiccoup and you will find things getting expensive.I would never attempt a short connection like this on 2 tickets.

I hope all goes well.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?

Thanks everyone for your views!! Really appreciate it.

Ok it sounds like I will need some luck to pull this through. It will be a bet that will cost me GBP120.

I am putting in my wager, as the upside is I will have half a day more in Cork.

I fly in late July. Will let you know the outcome! :-)

Thanks again!!

Reply to: Heathrow. 3 hrs sufficient for transit from Terminal 4 to 1?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted