We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK customs connection timing

toledo, oh
reviews: 10
JFK customs connection timing

I have a connecting flight at jfk - coming in from Rome and going to Detroit. Delta changed schedules and I have a 1 hour 50 minute layover. What are my chances of getting through customs and making this connection? It's around 6:30pm on a Saturday

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 101
1. Re: JFK customs connection timing

Customs won't be the issue - it's Immigration where the lines are. It's impossible to say how long the lines will be at any given time but I would never allow any less than 3 hours (unless I have pre-cleared).

If it's all on the one ticket, Delta are obliged to put you on the next AVAILABLE flight to your final destination.. Is there a later flight to DTW that you can take?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: JFK customs connection timing

For clarity you'll probably also have to change terminals requiring you to clear airport security making it more difficult to make a connection in less than 2 hours - I prefer 3 hours but it can be done in less if your flights is on time and queues at JFK Immigration are short (unlikely).

If you miss the connection then Delta will get you on the next available flight with empty seats which might not be the actual next flight as they wont bump passengers to seat other delayed passengers.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: JFK customs connection timing

If both flights are on Delta, then you won't be changing terminals, or at worst you'd take a shuttle bus within the secure zone.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: JFK customs connection timing

I have made that connection in only 1 1/2 hours with time to spare but I only have carryon so never need to wait for luggage to be unloaded.

Delta generally has its own separate security screening area for arriving international passengers.

You should be fine.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: JFK customs connection timing

You should make it without a problem unless your flight from Rome is late but in any case as the others have said Delta will have to put you on the next available flight if you don't make the connection, so not really a big risk.

6. Re: JFK customs connection timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 17, 2014