We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AmericanAirlines checked bags

5 posts
AmericanAirlines checked bags

Hi all,

I've booked a multi-city ticket through BA which includes bags for my international flights however on my booking it doesn't show any bags for my internal domestic flights. I have a leg from TPA-DFW-YVR all with American, but when I go to their site I can't find a way to prepay/book a checked bag?

Is the only way to check a bag with American to pay at the airport?

Also with regards to Multi-City tickets, I've only got 1 ticket number for 3 different legs, how will checkin work for the flights after my first leg?

Many thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,325 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: AmericanAirlines checked bags

Hi,

You will use the same booking number for all sections or flights of that one ticket even if they are days apart as in your case..

While most people book the traditional R/T or return ticket, a carriers PNR or reservation number can in fact "cover" many more flights - so long as they're all on that specific PNR which would be established when you originally booked it.

Travel Safe,

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: AmericanAirlines checked bags

If your flights with AA are immediately connecting from an international flight then you retain the international baggage allowance.

If not then you have to pay the AA baggage charges and the only way, as far as I'm aware, is at the airport - if I recall correctly it's $25 for first bag and $35 for second bag.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: AmericanAirlines checked bags

USA airlines for the most part do not ask you to prepay for the bag. If you check a bag, they charge you when you drop it at the airport.

And you will have to pay for bags on that leg. USA airlines do not consider Canada to be international when it comes to bag fees.

Edited: 9:06 am, June 15, 2013
4. Re: AmericanAirlines checked bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 17, 2014