We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typo on First Name on Ticket

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 20
Typo on First Name on Ticket

Hi All,

I am flying with my sister in law from Rome to Paris with Vueling Airlines on 25th June. I inadvertently spelt her first name wrong - Veronika instead of Veronica. Will this matter? I don't want to be turned away or buy another ticket.

I have tried contacting the airlines customer service, but not having much luck, the website goes slow, my computer goes down & I don't get the message.

Should I risk turning up with the ticket I have or persevere with contacting them?

Thanks for any advice.

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

according to the 'rules" the ticket name has to match the passport name exactly.

sometimes simple mistakes like this have been ignored, sometimes not.

a lot of times some airlines will change a simple error like this FOC.

I wouldn't take the risk.

persevere.

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
2. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

With it being a spelling error in the first name, I would strongly advise that you phone and correct the mistake. As the previous poster said, the name has to match exactly or the airline would have grounds to deny boarding. You would maybe get away with it but there's no guarantee and it would cost you a lot more in the long run. I personally wouldn't take that chance!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

Call the airline. It looks like their numbers are premium rate (grrrr) but I'd do that. If you have Skype that could minimize the costs.

If anyone has a standard land line number to circumvent the premium rates, please post. :)

London.UK
reviews: 1
4. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

^^ The OP could try this one perhaps ?

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
5. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

You will have to contact the airline but they'll probably just put a note on the booking so you won't have a problem at check in.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

Thank you very much for all those answers, I will persevere today. If I have no luck I will maybe go to the Vueling desk on Tuesday morning 18/6 when we arrive at FCO & get them to help me in person.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
7. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

My daughters middle name was missing one letter on the ticket compared to the passport. I spoke to Garuda and they advised that they would definitely not let me through check in in Melbourne if they picked it up because immigration in Bali were very strict. They told me they would not make a change and would have to issue new tickets. It was going to cost me approx $150 for the new ticket and another $60 due to difference in price from when I purchased the original ticket. I noticed on the original quote that I signed off on the agent hadn't included our middle names. I called the agent and they admitted it was their error and they would fix it. They also told me that Garuda was right and they would not let my daughter fly if they picked it up at check in. All of the advice I received from the folk on the Bali forum was not to worry about it and no one would notice. I don't know of they are right or not (they probably are) but I'm a lot more comfortable with new tickets. Interestingly the new ticket had had exactly the same number as the old ticket. I think it really depends on the airline and the country you are travelling to.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

The search engine referenced in #4 brought up the land line number +34 9315 18158. That's a Spanish land line and it says it's for "Vueling Customer Services, including booking a wheelchair."

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

Just an update that may be helpful to others. I went to the Vueling desk at Fiumicino when we arrived in Rome & explained the situation. I had the e ticket & my sister in laws passport with me, to show them.

They were very nice and said they accept up to a 3 letter mistake in the ticket name. So we were fine & no one said a word to us about the typo on boarding.

10. Re: Typo on First Name on Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2014