We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 1
Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

The short story is that I am stupid. I took a rash decision and now I have confirmed tickets for me and my parents to Dallas from LaGuardia on Spirit Airlines and have also paid for a few checked and carry on baggage.

I have never traveled Spirit before and booked the tickets because the fare seemed affordable. The other options I was looking at had stopovers and Spirit was the only airlines that was servicing DFW non stop. Since I was travelling with my parents who are a little elderly, the non stop service caught my attention and I booked the ticket. I was not aware of so many extra charges for carry on and check baggage but paid for it as I was already locked in with Spirit.

I see that there have been many horror stories with Spirit and I want to take as much precautions as possible. Anyone traveled this route? Any pointers to what to expect and what not to expect? Any kind of advice is welcome!

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

Cross your fingers and hope like hell?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
2. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

While I will probably never choose to fly Spirit due to their business model, you are not doomed to a trip from hell. In reality the vast majority of people that fly Spirit get to their destination with little or no problems. If something happens, there is not much you can do about it anyway.

Just realize that this is a zero frills airline with no flexibility in the rules. Expect to pay for anything you get onboard. Read their rules about carry on and check in. Be prepared to fend for yourselves should something go wrong - like a cancellation.

Toronto, Ontario...
3. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

So you know, both American Airlines and Delta fly non-stop between LGA and DFW.

Toronto, Ontario...
5. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

I do know now that there are so many better non-stop options available between LaGuardia and DFW. I made a rash decision by choosing Spirit. Like I said before I was stupid.

Edited: 4:27 pm, June 14, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself to be honest. I don't think you should call yourself stupid. You just booked a flight with a low cost carrier, no crime, many many peiple do with no issues.

They are not great no, predominantly because they have no agreements with other airlines, so if a plane goes tech, it can mean you don't get another flight for days. And yes, many dont like their pricing model, but that's subjective and they are up front about it.

You just basically need to hope the flight is on time with no issues.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

If you read the negative posts, the biggest issue people seem to have is getting charged for extras they were not expecting. People book flights based on the low fare and then have to pay for everything else. I think as long as you familiarize yourself with all the possible extra charges so you are not surprised, probably everything will go OK.

And then hope there's no weather issues or delays or cancellations because they do have less ability to respond to issues like this than a larger airline with interline agreements will have.

kentucky
reviews: 40
8. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

Take some snacks and a book. With tight seating and no recline for several hours, just make the best of it. Pray for no more tornadoes (for so many reasons!). I guess their slogan could be "sit up and enjoy the savings" [if you save anything and have no disruptions]. Good luck. I think you're already smarter than you thought--you posted here!

Edited: 6:39 pm, June 14, 2013
South Pole
reviews: 37
9. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

agree that once u know what to expect then, it usually goes smoothly.

I once booked a ryanair flight to actually find out for myself what all the fuss was about.

nothing untoward happened as I was prepared. it was a very 'interesting' experience, esp the pax demographic.

but no need give my money to MOL ever again..

am tempted to do the same on spirit one day.

Toronto, Ontario...
10. Re: Flying Spirit Airlines from LaGuardia (LGA) to DFW *gulp*

Thanks a lot everyone for all the positive posts! I am just a little worried because I have my elderly parents travelling with me. If it were just me, I wouldn't have been this worried.

I have been reading up on all these extra fares and I am familiarizing myself with Sprint airlines! Fingers crossed everything goes well.

Cheers