We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada - not exactly first class

Campbelville...
reviews: 111
Air Canada - not exactly first class

I recently had cause to travel back to Canada from Heathrow on Air Canada as BA could not get me out during the Air Controllers' strike when BA also had a computer issue.

I now remember why I stopped flying Air Canada even though I have more Aeroplan miles that I know what to do with.

The shared lounge at Terminal 3, Heathrow is definitely not a great lounge. Shared with SAS and Turkish Airways, among others the food is buffet style only and there was nothing worth eating in the entire lounge. The staff are very nice but there is no service at all although the cleaners work non stop and do an excellent job.

The Air Canada business class (there is no first class at all!) is one of the least impressive that I have flown in for many years. As one of my friends commented to me (he travels to and in the U.S. with great frequency) -"Air Canada is a giant amongst midgets in the US". They are very short indeed when compared with world class airlines.

The flight staff, although friendly enough are not very good at all (the purser kept dropping bottles and anything else). They couldn't push the carts through business class without bumping into every seat. The washrooms were clean enough but the seats were 1/3 empty so a full flight would be a different issue.

The flight took longer than any flight I have taken from London to Toronto since the Icelandic volcano and for many years before that. My guess would be that Air Canada has told their pilots not to burn fuel and to fly with the throttle 1/2 open.

Not a great experience although we did get back, eventually.

ATB

LIG

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

Did the flight take longer than scheduled?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
2. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

My guess would be that Air Canada has told their pilots not to burn fuel and to fly with the throttle 1/2 open.

________

Tin foil hat at the ready!

Summer winds are typically stronger than in winter months which means westbound crossings over the Atlantic, particularly to Eastern North America where flightpaths follow the Gulf Stream more closely. The greater head winds result in longer flight times.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
3. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

"The washrooms were clean enough but the seats were 1/3 empty so a full flight would be a different issue."

Unsubstantiated.

Reminds me of my wife getting mad at me for something I did in her dream.

So, the complaint boils down to not liking the Star Alliance lounge in T3, a bit of bumping the seats with a cart, and an over-exaggerated dropsie issue in the galley.

Edited: 1:51 pm, June 14, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
4. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

<My guess would be that Air Canada has told their pilots not to burn fuel and to fly with the throttle 1/2 open.>

This was strange to me, since it's a huge leap and likely a fabrication.

If you didn't like them, why fly them? After all, they did get you from A to B, and in business class. Maybe you can choose a different Star Alliance carrier next time.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
5. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

"The Air Canada business class (there is no first class at all!)"

--------------------------------------------

Why the exclamation point? You didn't know not all international flights have first class??? I've been on many international flights that had biz class but no first class, and it was far better than domestic first class. You were originally booked on BA first class? You were lucky Air Canada could accommodate you, but all you seem to have are complaints, about the lounge and planes. Even angry at how long the flight took, as though AC would rather have the flight take longer. Unless you were on a slower plane than you were the other times, any delay was likely due to weather or congestion at the arrival airport (i.e., your fight had to wait for clearance) or other factors outside the control of Air Canada.

IMHO, your complaints against AC would have more impact if you focused on things within the control of AC, especially things that would have been better on other airlines.

Edited: 2:12 pm, June 14, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
6. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

"This was strange to me, since it's a huge leap and likely a fabrication."

Plus... it isn't logical. "Yes Officer, I was speeding. But you see, I knew I was running out of gas, so I wanted to get to a gas station quickly."

Actually, planes *don't* fly with throttles wide open or even near that in the first place. There is an efficient altitude and speed combination. Go slower and it is less efficient.

Alberta
reviews: 72
7. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

You have the option to donate your Aeroplan miles to charity.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
8. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

I'm intrigued to know what sort of 'service' you were expecting in the lounge?

And it's hardly ACs fault that you didn't care for the food on offer. It's an airport lounge, not a top class restaurant.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

Very unusual post.

What exactly is the complaint,,,you wanted to be served in the lounge? Most are self service?

One of the crew dropped things? How did this impact you? Did they drop something for you and not replace?

They banged the seats with the trolley?

Was your flight actually delayed? Your complaint seems strange, and I have to say petty, and probably due to unrealistic expectations.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
10. Re: Air Canada - not exactly first class

Guess you really don't like AC, eh? - thats a longass post about a few minor details.

If you did not like the lounge at T3? - which I rather like - don't go NEAR Auckland, because you'll hate the ANZ lounge there.

I think AC Executive is a decent product - the seats/pods are comfortable, the staff is nice enough and sometimes even very good..... and they give you LOTS to drink.

If I paid thousands of dollars for the experience I might be somewhat peeved at having my seat bumped (OH NO!!) but I only fly on upgrades and rewards. Clever old me.