We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Airliners.net reports (WSJ):

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

I would have thought the wait times at US Immigration is more of a problem - in my experience US Customs is simply handing over your declaration and walking through unless pulled aside for baggage search.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Agree with TomC97 that immigration lines are the real problem,the sooner we are able to pre-clear the US from our own countries the better-it would certainly take some of the pressure/stress off the US based officials.

Even if we had turn up at our major airports earlier and had to pay a nominal fee(for the extra costs of having this service in the UK) it would be worth it

Works just fine and smooth at Dublin and Shannon

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

What are these waits you speak of?

Signed,

A Global Entry member

P.S. It does annoy me when a publication/authority doesn't know the difference between Immigration and Customs! It's not hard!

Edited: 4:22 pm, June 13, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Global entry is the greatest. They're testing a system in Chicago this summer where non global entry passengers, us citizens, with no bags can also use the kiosks. That'll mean fewer people need to see an immigration officer which would shorten all the lines.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Yes it's Immigration, not Customs.

Two weeks ago at SFO, the incoming passengers were being processed so slowly that the baggage carousels got so filled up with unclaimed bags they stopped working. Luckily for me, my bag had been delivered, though I had to climb onto the carousel to retrieve it.

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
6. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

<Two weeks ago at SFO, the incoming passengers were being processed so slowly that the baggage carousels got so filled up with unclaimed bags they stopped working. Luckily for me, my bag had been delivered, though I had to climb onto the carousel to retrieve it.>

Wow, that's just crazy. In IAD they at least unload the carousel and put all the bags next to it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

They were trying to do that, but with not enough handlers and three overflowing carousels, they just had to stop them.

Edited: 6:15 pm, June 13, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
8. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Wonder if we've already reached to peak or if it's gonna get any worse....A few weeks ago I had to wait around 50 minutes at EWR (could've been worse, I agree) and a friend of mine had to wait a whole 3 hours at MIA (Visitor's lane) in April. And the thing is the officers are actually working quite fast but there is just too many people and not enough IOs...

And is it just me or is the link not working?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

Two weeks ago in MIA, the area did not seem that packed. I have global entry so did not have to wait. But out in baggage claim, there were bags stacked up all around the belts. They'd been sitting on the belts so long that the workers had taken them off the belts and lined them on the floor off the belt to make room on the belt for bags of the next flight. People coming out of immigration were searching for their bags in the piles on the floor. So I assume the line was longer than it looked at first glance.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
10. Re: Expect long waits at US Customs this summer '13

I know that the past few years immigration at JFK has gotten terrible. Also, a GE member I have no problems and have had to wait for my suitcase.But, I do know that frequently suitcases have been taken off the belt and piled on the side. I don't know if checks are more thorough or there is that much more travel.