We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Naples, Florida
reviews: 4
Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

We will be travelling Economy so what airline has the best seating for the long haul? I have read many reviews on Cathy Pacific, Emirates, Korean and United. All range from each is the greatest to each is the worst. It is very hard to decide which to choose. It would be helpful to get more recent reviews and advice. We can go out of Chicago, Washington, JFK or any other airport in that area.

Thank you.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Asiana - Best airline I've ever flown (and I was in economy). They fly from Chicago and JFK. Plus, your transit would be at Incheon, one of the best airports in the world and, if your layover is an unavoidable 8 hours plus, Asiana would give you a free hotel room (which you book separately to your flight).

You can also look at Korean Air from all three of the airports you list. Have heard good things about them, and you get the Incheon layover and similar hotel set up for 8 hour plus layovers.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
2. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Asiana was definitely better than Korean or United to Asia. Never flew the others. Incheon airport in Korea is about the best airport I've ever transferred through. Short to non-existent security lines. Decent food. Comfy places to sit. Inexpensive lounges if you want one.

But really, it's all minor compared to price and schedule. They'll all have food that's not very good, seats that are too small, and some selection of recent movies to watch. They'll all get you there. The reason you find good and bad reviews on all of them is there's more variation from flight to flight than from airline to airline. Even the best airlines lose bags and have flight delays, and when that happens, someone writes a bad review.. Find one that is at a price you can afford with a schedule you want and worry about that more than which airline you are on.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
3. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Here's a third for Asiana (code OZ) - my favorite airline, and the one that has now spoiled me for all travel. I believe them to have the very best economy class - roomy, comfortable and downright friendly. Many complain about the IFE on OZ (KE is often better for entertainment), but the service from FA's on OZ beats them all. They also pour a very good Cabernet, and the Bibimbap is excellent. Asiana usually gives me a free hotel room since my connection to the US West Coast often involves a lengthy transit in Seoul. You will be pleased with this airline - there is none better!

Edited: 12:07 am, June 14, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
4. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Asiana is Star Alliance and codeshares with UA and US

Singapore
reviews: 113
5. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Cathay is very good. They have the interactive media tool (like SQ) so if you can't sleep you can keep watching movies or whatever. And HKIA is a nice airport to transit in. I would avoid United. Emirates is a strong contender but not sure how attractive their connections are. Within Asia a transit of more than 3 hours (for full service airlines as listed) is considered long so however lovely Incheon is, I would baulk at 8 hours spent there.

SQ (Singapore Airlines) of course also tops. You'll transit in Changi, another good airport.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

>> I would avoid United <<

I wouldn't. They're certainly not the best by any means but if the fare is good they're not bad. Especially if you pay more for Economy Plus which gives you up to 5" extra legroom. I fly them as my principle airline and their flight attendant service has improved dramatically over two years ago.

Overall my favorite is Asiana, who have 34" seat pitch (that's 3" extra legroom over the bog standard) throughout the cabin, and absolutely wonderful flight attendant service. Way way better than any North American or European carrier. But I wouldn't rule out UA.

Regarding Star Alliance, another potential candidate (they join Star next week) is EVA, who fly from JFK. I'm looking at them for my next trip to SE Asia because of their timing. Instead of "leave US morning, arrive BKK very late night one day later" they "leave 1-2am and arrive BKK around lunchtime the next day". Same overall flight time, but perhaps a more convenient schedule.

Edited: 3:37 am, June 14, 2013
New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
7. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

+1 for SQ. Caveat: I've flown Asiana & Korean on short haul regional flights only.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
8. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

They're all good choices so maybe you should think about maybe a stopover in one of the cities on the way to Bangkok, this could be the deciding factor.

La Libertad, El...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

My last trip I flew Cathay Pacific YYZ - HKG - BKK they were very good, returned PNH - ICN - HNL with Korean, also very good, HNL - LAX with United, not impressed, then on to SAL with TACA also good.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 245
10. Re: Best Airline from Northern US to Bangkok

Star Alliance would be my choice-change in LHR,CDG or FRA and fly TG (Thai) into their home base.