We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airport Transit

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 3
Singapore Airport Transit

Hi all,

I am travelling SYD-BOM return on 2 separate tickets:

(A) SYD-SIN return with BA and (B) SIN-BOM return with MH (via KL).

My issue is that BA flight reaches SIN @ 9:35 pm and MH flight to BOM does not depart until next day @ 6 am.

Q1 - although I'm flying on 2 separate tickets, can my luggage get checked through to Mumbai considering BA and MH are both part of OneWorld.

If Yes - Great (issue solved) but if No then

Q2 - how early can I check in with MH flight as soon as I collect my luggage in SIN (& clear customs)? I imagine, it wouldn't take more than an hour from the time BA flight lands in SIN (i.e. @ 10:30 I should have cleared customs). Will MH counters be open @ 10:30 pm for me to check in/bag drop for 6 am flight next day?

The reason why I ask this is because I am planning to use Airport transit hotel for a night's sleep instead of leaving airport and going into the town.

Will appreciate your guidance re options/tips etc.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

"Q1 - although I'm flying on 2 separate tickets, can my luggage get checked through to Mumbai considering BA and MH are both part of OneWorld."

Airlines are not obliged to check luggage through on separate tickets but it's more likely as both flights are OneWorld partners, all you can do is ask when you check in.

Personally I would be more worried about the risks you face from having separately ticketed flights - if any leg of your flights is delayed/cancelled resulting in missing a subsequent flight then you're simply a no show and the ticket is cancelled.

Whilst around 9 hours might be ok on the outbound leg you don't say what time gap you have on return - if these flights are sometime in the future there could also be schedule changes which impact your connection window.

South Pole
reviews: 38
2. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

it appears the last MH flight of the day leaves around 11pm.

I think u would be pushing it to get to their check in counter before they closed esp as u have to get from T1 to T2.

but am pretty sure however that BA will be able to check your baggage thru.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
3. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

If BA can't check you luggage all the way through, you can check in for your MA flight in the Transfer Lounge airside ( no need to go through immigration or collect luggage). You pick up your boarding passes here and your bags will be transfered for you if you show your luggage tags,

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
4. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

Some airlines ex Changi have early check in which means you can check in hours before your flight.

It is one counter dealing with several airlines.

However, I dont know if MH is part of this deal. I fly Thai from T1. You could perhaps find info on MH Singapore site.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

Thank you all for your responses – travelling for the first time on 2 separate tickets and therefore little naïve.

@TomC97 – Understand the risk around flying 2 separate tickets but I’m flying around Christmas time (the most expensive time to fly ex Aus at least). By buying 2 separate tickets, I have saved approx $500 net (incl calculated expenses @ Changi).

In regards to return, I’ve a similar dilemma. Again journey stoppage is 10+ but at least it’s in the day and therefore, I’m thinking of visiting the town by storing my luggage in the booths located in the public area (if I cannot get my luggage checked through to SYD).

@ lien – BA flight sx SYD arrives in SIN @ 9:35 pm approx and my flight to BOM in MH (via KL) is next day @ 6:00 am and issue is not around potentially not having enough time to re check-in. Issues is that how do I get a good night’s sleep w/o worrying about my luggage, if it does not get check through all the way to BOM from SYD, especially when I’m travelling on 2 separate itineraries.

@ Mankster – If I u/s your advice correctly, are you saying that all I need to do after I come out of BA flight is walk to trf desk, show my onwards journey’s ticket, collect my boarding passes (SIN-KUL and KUL-BOM in MH) and show my luggage tag(s) given by BA while checking in from SYD and MH/Changi airport crew will trf my luggage all the way to BOM – w/o me clearing the immigration, collecting the luggage & customs and then re checking-in @ the check in desks !!!

@ NomadicForever – Thanks for the tip. I’ll have a look.

sydney australia
reviews: 106
6. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

Another option which is very common at SIN is just go to the transit hotel and sleep- when you get up clear immigration you bags will have been taken to left luggage - collect them exit via customs recheck in and viola

Happens every day all day and night at Changi

7. Re: Singapore Airport Transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 18, 2014