We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

London, United...
reviews: 1
Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

Will my passport be ok ill be back within the 6 month rule as ill be leaving on holiday June 13th till 21st June

I'm just being paranoid I think.

I've got a same day passport renewal booked but I'd rather not risk them delaying my passport even with the same day service if I do not have to get it renewed.

It's just me being paranoid right I can renew it after I get back

41 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 26
1. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

What is your nationality and where are you travelling?

This whole "six months rule" thing is, largely, a myth. There are some countries that require passports to be valid for six months but they are in a minority. And if you have seven months to run on your passport then are you worried? Even if your itinerary includes a country with a six months rule you are well within that.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
2. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

If the destination you are visiting says a passport has to be valid 6 months after your trip and you are returning on June 21 then unless you passport expires before Dec. 21 you are okay.

BTW the "6 month rule" is not a standard rule. Some countries only require 3 months. The "rule" is the personal choice of every country as to what they require from their tourists.

London, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

British going to Cuba

Edmonton
reviews: 14
4. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

6 month rule does not apply for a British citizen going to Cuba (according to Timatic), but check with your airline as well. Some airlines have stricter rules on this. You do however require medical insurance that covers any expenses while in Cuba.

Queensland
reviews: 153
5. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

It is ultimately (besides yours) the airlines responsibility to check that you have 6 months validity on your passport. That is one thing they are looking for when you check in at the counter. Airlines have and can be held responsible for allowing passengers to travel and can deny check in if you don't have the 6 months. The entry conditions of countries vary but as a rule airlines wont allow you to travel with less than 6 months before expiry. There are many cases where it's been missed, entry denied and passengers returned to country of origin on the next available flight (deported), at the airlines expense. Airlines ensure this rule is adheared to now.

Edited: 11:15 pm, June 09, 2013
UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

The entry conditions of countries vary but as a rule airlines wont allow you to travel with less than 6 months before expiry.

------

That's rubbish. There is no general rule, as said in the first two replies. And if the country doesnt have a 6 month rule, then the airline wont be fined for flying someone there with less than a 6 month passport.

OP, you need to check with your airline to make sure they aren't imposing their own rules, but if they adhere to the rules for UK/Cuba as posted by Maried11 then you don't have an issue.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

^^^^ Agree, that's absolute nonsense.

The airlines work from a database provided by IATA. Maried11 mentioned it - Timatic. That holds all the information - on a country basis - for entry requirements and documents to check. If there's no six month validity requirement, then it's not flagged. But, in addition to the (possible but not mandatory) passport validity requirements are such things as (a) visa/ESTA requirements, and (b) confirmed onward or return tickets within the permitted period of stay.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 364
8. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

I don't have access to Timatic (that requires a paid subscription) so I use CIBT (http://cibtvisas.co.uk). They say a Brit citizen going to Cuba for tourism needs a visa and a passport valid for 6 months... I think the OP would be inspired to double check with the Cuba embassy in London.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

So there is no problem. The passport has more than 6 months and the Visa is a bit of paper you fill in, usually provided by the holiday company and included in your holiday price.

UK
reviews: 89
10. Re: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013

Good spot. The UK government website also says you need 6 months.

https:/…entry-requirements

However, I find the OPs question confusing, is his passport valid for 6 months or not? He says "ill be back within the 6 month rule " but in that case why does he need to post at all? Or does "ill be back within the 6 month rule" mean that he'll be back with less than 6 months to spare? Or something else?

OP if your passport will have LESS than 6 months from the end of your stay, and you have a same day renewal appointment already booked why dont you just do that? I cant recall what the visa arrangement is and how you get it for Cuba, dont think I had to send my passport off I think I paid a fee to my travel operator and they arranged it somehow?

Reply to: Passport expiring in jan 2014 travelling in June 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted