We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Boston...
reviews: 14
30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

My partner and I used a travel website (Orbitz) to book flights from Boston USA to Kayseri Turkey -- the price was right on a trip that left Boston and arrived in Kayseri at appealing times. Sadly, after booking the trip (all on Turkish Airlines flights) we noticed that our Boston-Munich flight (#8588) arrives at MUC at 0955 and departs at 1025 on a different plane (#1630) for the Munich-Istanbul portion of the trip. At least the arrival and departure both occur at MUC Terminal 2 (according to the Orbitz itinerary anyhow).

We are now quite concerned whether 30 minutes allows adequate time to make our connection to Istanbul (and the ensuing connection from there to Kayseri.) This assumes there is not even a slight delay in arrival. We accept and understand that delays can affect any connection. However, it seems that even if things go exactly according to schedule we will have a real challenge getting off of one plane with our carry-on bags and boarding another departing international flight. (I also fear for our luggage making this connection.)

Are we likely worried about nothing? If this is an unreasonable risk to be taking -- and we would hate to lose one day on our tourist itinerary which is already on a very tight schedule -- should we think of rebooking (at a minimum of $190 each)? Or is this a routine thing at MUC? If we are taking an unreasonable risk with this connection, was it wrong for Orbitz to have prompted the purchase these flights in the first place (at least without a clear warning)??

We do not travel much, so I apologize if this seems to be an odd or uninformed question.

West Orange, New...
reviews: 1
21. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

I have to say that 30 min is not enough time for any connection but you might get lucky..But here is how you can help your self out.. I travle alot and i'v done this many times and it always work..When you board the plane find one of the flight attendants and explain your situation, she/he can find a way for you to be the first person off the flight.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
reviews: 62
22. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Bill,

I often travel for 2 weeks or more in the winter months and almost never check a bag. You really do not need much of what you are taking, I suspect.

Since you plan to check bag(s) I would encourage you to carry a full change of clothes and toiletries in your hand luggage as you may not see those checked bags for a day or two with your very tight connection.

Hopefully all will work out fine. Enjoy Turkey, its a lovely country to visit.

23. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014