We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

My partner and I used a travel website (Orbitz) to book flights from Boston USA to Kayseri Turkey -- the price was right on a trip that left Boston and arrived in Kayseri at appealing times. Sadly, after booking the trip (all on Turkish Airlines flights) we noticed that our Boston-Munich flight (#8588) arrives at MUC at 0955 and departs at 1025 on a different plane (#1630) for the Munich-Istanbul portion of the trip. At least the arrival and departure both occur at MUC Terminal 2 (according to the Orbitz itinerary anyhow).

We are now quite concerned whether 30 minutes allows adequate time to make our connection to Istanbul (and the ensuing connection from there to Kayseri.) This assumes there is not even a slight delay in arrival. We accept and understand that delays can affect any connection. However, it seems that even if things go exactly according to schedule we will have a real challenge getting off of one plane with our carry-on bags and boarding another departing international flight. (I also fear for our luggage making this connection.)

Are we likely worried about nothing? If this is an unreasonable risk to be taking -- and we would hate to lose one day on our tourist itinerary which is already on a very tight schedule -- should we think of rebooking (at a minimum of $190 each)? Or is this a routine thing at MUC? If we are taking an unreasonable risk with this connection, was it wrong for Orbitz to have prompted the purchase these flights in the first place (at least without a clear warning)??

We do not travel much, so I apologize if this seems to be an odd or uninformed question.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,514 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

MUC is a relatively small and effective airport, so should be doable - though tight - provided incoming flight arrives on time.

Be aware that both flights are operated by Lufthansa.

Edited: 3:01 pm, June 09, 2013
Madrid
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

THY do not fly BOS-MUC,so you have booked a codeshare.You need to check the operating carrier,Lufthansa or United perhaps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Thank you. Although the flight numbers are through Turkish Airlines I confirmed that the flights into and out of Munich are indeed operated by Lufthansa. (I assume this will be helpful. to our situation.)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
88 reviews
4. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

30 min in any airport anywhere would be tough. No contingency for even a minor delay like waiting for a gate. If it takes 10min to get off the plane and even 10 to find your next gate, they may have closed boarding for the second flight.

Munich is pretty easy to navigate and since you're not entering Europe you should not have a security or immigration line. Just walking from one gate to the next. But 30min is real tight. Try to get seats near the front if the plane and download a map of the airport to familiarize yourselves before arrival. Don't check bags as they have a lesser chance of making it than you will.

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Not checking luggage is not a realistic option for us (as we're away for almost 2 weeks in cool weather). It is sounding like this was an unreasonable itinerary for Orbitz to offer in response to lo our booking search (absolutely no warning!), and a problematic flight itinerary for us to leave as is.

Would it be unreasonable to expect them to rebook us without charging their change fee ($60 per person) and Turkish Airlines change fee ($130+ each)? (If the new flights cost more, I am happy to pay the difference for that, but the change fee seems harsh if we're only doing this to change their faulty flight package in the first place.) How is their customer service reputation (in general and on things like this)?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

The responsibility must be yours to check the timings on the itinerary you have booked. A 30 min transfer any where should send alarm bells. Realistically 30 mins is very very tight. Just a 5 min delay could mean you miss your flight. You have to get off the flight, 10 mins, get to new gate 5 - 10 mins and the flight will close before departure time, possibly 10 mins so that paperwork can be completed. I would think there is also a possibility your luggage will miss the flight. Generally if you book on one ticket you will be booked on the next available flight. But is 30 mins a legal connection time? If not you may not be transferred, hopefully someone can clarify.

It's always worth asking for the fees to be waived but I wouldn't hold out much hope. You may have found out the problem of booking through a 3rd party and hoping to save money. It could be costly. Good luck I hope it works out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

Third parties are notorious for offering unrealistic connections. Even the airlines do it. You can ask if they will change the flight but probably will have to call orbitz, not Turkish air, since you booked the ticket there. Usually the airlines refer you to the agency you bought the ticket from.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

MUC boasts a 30 min transfer time so it's legal.

munich-airport.de/en/…index.jsp

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

I see the plane now departing MUC at 10.30am and yes it is a legal connection.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: 30 Minutes Enough to Change Planes at MUC?

not only legal but easily doable

a great airport.

I wonder how many naysayers above have actually been thru the airport?