We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

North east england
reviews: 6
Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

We are currently looking at prices etc for Las Vegas trip sept 2014.

We want to fly with virgin (we have flown long haul with virgin and BA in last 12mth and prefer virgin.

Anyway fly be are stopping flights newcastle to gatwick in march 2014, and so far it hasn't been announced if any airline is talking over the route? Virgin only fly out of gatwick not heathrow to Las Vegas.

We're considering flying from Manchester, but will mean either a 2-3hr drive (after flying through the night on return) or using the train :(

Anyone got any ideas? I didn't think wanting a Las Vegas trip was going to be so much hassle to sort out? newcastle airport is getting worse, getting more difficult to commute by quick 1hr flights to the capital London

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

FlyBE sold their Gatwick slots to Easyjet, so that's likely who will operate the flights from next April.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Or fly NCL-LHR then transfer to LGW by NatEx coach/tax/private car for the journey between the two. You'll need to leave plenty of time but it may be preferable to driving 2/3hrs at each end. The coaches are very regular and easy, though of course prone to M25 traffic at peak times.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Frankly, unless there's some news soon, I'd book to fly ex Manchester. If you drive and park you're still p[robably looking at less time than flying to LHR and taking the bus. Either way, you might be wise to budget for an overnight stay at the airport.

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Not looking like any airlines are interested in NCL-LGW.I guess its not profitable.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
5. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

I personally wouldn't consider flying into LHR for a flight out of LGW unless you are doing an overnight - too many things to go wrong and too much hassle getting between airports with your bags.

If you're insistent on VA then Manchester might be a better option but as far as I'm aware it's not a daily service.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Not looking like any airlines are interested in NCL-LGW.I guess its not profitable.

Or they can make more money on other routes.

Leeds, UK
reviews: 52
7. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

There was an article somewhere in the news recently about Manchester having lost its Gatwick flights this year and the amount of traffic travel agents are losing as a result. The article mentioned that KLM and the middle eastern carriers have been benefitting from it with a lot of people connecting at their respective hubs when flying from the North rather then trekking to London on trains or driving. Maybe its about time BA renamed itself London Airlines cause lets face it, that seem to be the only area they are interested in serving?

Edited: 2:51 pm, June 07, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
8. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

"Maybe its about time BA renamed itself London Airlines cause lets face it, that seem to be the only area they are interested in serving?"

Not sure that's fair as BA do provide a good service to/from UK regional airports - if OP was happy to travel BA rather than VA then flights from NCL to Las Vegas via London wouldn't be a problem. Direct flights from UK regional airports to long haul destinations is just not viable unless its the airlines major hub such as United to Newark from Newcastle.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
9. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Going from MAN is not that bad and getting the train back up to NCL is fine as you have the station at the airport, let the train take the strain after a night flight!

Or the other option is to drive down stay overnight for either outward or return journey the drive back is ok.

Your right regarding NCL, the airport is getting worse for a major airport in the North, I much prefer MAN . That and the new 'hand luggage checkers at NCL when traveling with EK who are quite frankly a pain.

London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Newcastle to gatwick route 2014

Drive it or take the train,,,all in it takes just as long as flying.