We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British airways from gatwick to vegas

reviews: 4
British airways from gatwick to vegas

Forgive me if this is a silly question it's just I have read a few things on other forums and wanted to double check...

People have referred to being offered and upgrade in class upon check in if they have empty seats at a massively discounted rate.

Is this common place and has anyone ever taken them up on this?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

I don't know what the availability is like on your route but I see BA upgrade offers in the airport on a fairly regular basis. Assuming you're in economy currently, it's usually £179 to upgrade to premium economy (from memory) so I don't know that I'd say it's massively discounted.

Edited: 10:04 am, June 06, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
2. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

You may see upgrades offered in the "Manage My Booking" section too.

I've sometimes taken them up on offers at the airport when flying from the US to the UK. Was $600 from Club World to First from a US East Coast.

3. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

Sorry, yes we are flying economy.

Would the upgrade be worth it in your opinion ( to premium) at £179 pp?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

Have a look at the fare for a flight in WT+ and then consider whether the upgrade cost is worth it. My guess is that the ticket price will be considerably more than the price you paid plus that £179.

The pro-active upgrades are often good value - I've used them myself - and with a move from WT to WT+ you'll earn more Avios, more Tier Points, and take advantage of a more generous checked bag allowance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

The BA website will tell you the benefits of WT+ you can then decide if you think they're worth £179 to you.

6. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

Checking that out now.

Thanks gays

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

Let us know if you are offered it in MMB, from what I've read this is one of their busiest routes and pro-active low cost upgrades are few and far between. If you are offered it in MMB, and the price seems OK to you, i would certainly take it up it there and then, because if you turn it down, they generally dont offer it again either in MMB or OLCI, (thats been my experience anyway) and by the time you ask at the desk, chances are someone else will have snapped it up.

As to whether its worth it, thats a personal decision. Whats another 6 inches of legroom and a quieter cabin and another suitcase* worth to you? Some would say £200 and more, some would say, lets say if a couple, that they'd rather have the extra £800 to spend (lose?) in Vegas. Your decision :-)

* obviously you cant take advantage of the extra suitcase if you are only offered the upgrade at the airport.

8. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

With regards to seat/leg room, are the seats wider in the club world plus sections?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

Club World is business class.

Longhaul economy on BA is known as World Traveller with premium economy being World Traveller Plus.

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 2
10. Re: British airways from gatwick to vegas

For £179? Absolutely not. I know LGW-LAS is a long flight but you're really not getting much for your money except a few more inches of legroom. Now, if we were talking an upgrade to the Club World cabin of course I'd do it - BA's business class product and service are very, very strong.