We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on bags

Grimsby, United...
Carry on bags

Hi,

I will be flying with Air Canada in August and they have the max dimensions for carry on bags of H23cm, W40cm, L55cm and I thought I had the perfect bag which is 48cm length and W30cm but H26cm. I only just measured it cos I never thought it was over for it since it's classed as a flight bag but seems not.

Has anyone flown with Air Canada with the right size carry on bag? or perhaps a little smaller? If so wheres the best place to buy them? I've been looking on ebay and amazon for the last few days but their either too high or too long. There must be the right size cases out there? It's been driving me crazy cos no luggage shops in town have any carry on bags that size or smaller.

It seems like finding the impossible. Also why do handles have to be included when measuring the case? I've always wondered that as it's not like you would put it on the plane as carry on or as checked luggage?

UK
reviews: 85
1. Re: Carry on bags

Also why do handles have to be included when measuring the case?

-------

Pushed in, not extended if thats what you mean. Though I dont know what you then mean by "it's not like you would put it on the plane as carry on or as checked luggage" ???

South Pole
reviews: 39
2. Re: Carry on bags

while most here agree u should comply with carryon size rules, what we are talking about is 3cm of one dimension.

u would have to be really unlucky to be 'called out' on that considering what u see being taken on board most north american aircraft..

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 97
3. Re: Carry on bags

"u would have to be really unlucky to be 'called out' on that considering what u see being taken on board most north american aircraft."

Of course, if you wind up in a small regional plane on a connection flight, almost anything bigger than a shoe box could wind up in the hold anyway.

Alberta
reviews: 68
4. Re: Carry on bags

On my last Air Canada flight, at the boarding lounge they announced that carry on was to be placed into the overhead bins wheels first. If the bag did not fit that way, then it was to be checked.

I have been on smaller planes with Air Canada and they have offered gate check as no roller bags would fit in the overhead; I carry a small fold up bag for the items I want on the plane with me.

Surrey UK
reviews: 24
5. Re: Carry on bags

I have been looking to buy carry ons and in my experience the vast majority (including on Amazon UK) have a specified dimension of 55 x 40 x 20 so i am surprised you are having difficulty. But i would prefer to buy in a shop where i could measure it myself. Or if the Amazon reviews confirm the manufacturer's stated dimensions.

In your case if you can squeeze the 23 cm dimension and do not overfill you should be OK.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Carry on bags

< the vast majority (including on Amazon UK) have a specified dimension of 55 x 40 x 20 so i am surprised you are having difficulty. >

And I guarantee the vast majority of them will NOT fit into a cage 55x40x20

Grimsby, United...
7. Re: Carry on bags

I can find alot of carry on bags at the size of 55x40x20 but the 40cm is usually the height when it's the width that's meant to be 40cm which is what makes it hard to find one.

Because apparently the dimensions Air Canada supply for carry on bags is so it can fit under the seat in front of you?

London, United...
reviews: 47
8. Re: Carry on bags

Because apparently the dimensions Air Canada supply for carry on bags is so it can fit under the seat in front of you?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've no idea whether or not this is true, but it doesn't actually matter what you call a dimension. If the longest dimension is 55 or less, the shortest 23 or less, and the other one 40 or less, then what does what you call them matter?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
9. Re: Carry on bags

Handles count when figuring the size because if the handle is too big it prevents the bag from fitting in the overhead wheels first! When you have to put the wheels sideways you are unable to have 2 bags in the container. Yeah to Air Canada for preventing people from 'hogging' the overheads. Their policy means that those who board near the end won't automatically have their suitcases taken away due to the inconsideration of earlier boarders.

Surrey UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: Carry on bags

H, W & D are not specific terms in this context. A case 55x40x20 is exactly tbe same shape and size as 40x55x20

Get answers to your questions