We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Bristol
reviews: 55
RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Yes, Ryan Air are at it again. Not just charging for food on board but on our recent flight (Gran Canaria to Bristol, 31 May 2013) doing a slight of hand to over charge.

Despite the in-flight mag giving very specific prices (and the cabin staff pushing this a 'see what is on offer'), they are trying to charge over this at the point of sale - because 'WE HAVNT UPDATED THE MAGAZINE WITH THE NEW PRICES YET'.

Okay, they backed down when I reminded them ts was actually FRAUD - you cant advertise at one price and charge another - there were plenty of people on the flight who didnt spot this and therefore paid inflated prices.

BE CAREFUL - check the prices, do your own maths and question every bill.

wirral
reviews: 75
1. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Well spotted.As if the out of date prices in the brochure weren't already extorionate!

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Gosh, does your heart not sink when you read threads with this title, sigh,

It's not a scam, they have just not reprinted the magazine yet. It's not fraud, that's very silly, it's not contractually binding until the merchant accepts your price offer for the goods. It's simply a timing delay.

Would it have been better for them to raise prices in line with the magazine reprint, yes, but it's not a scam nor fraud,

Plus reality what are we a talking here, a few euros?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

"It's not a scam, they have just not reprinted the magazine yet."

Offering a product at one price and then charging a higher one sounds pretty scammy to me.

4. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, June 02, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

It's not a scam lex, this happens in other retail businesses also.

Is it good, no of course not, better to change prices with the magazine reprint, but way over the top to call it a scam and fraud.

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
6. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

When a price is advertised in a shop etc, that is only an invite to buy at that price. If something is marked at the wrong price they don't have to sell it at that price any more than you have to buy it. Ryanair weren't scamming you or breaking any law. Bit immoral yes, illegal no!

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Okay, they backed down when I reminded them ts was actually FRAUD - you cant advertise at one price and charge another

------

It's not fraud, and yes you can.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 246
8. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

Most people seem to take their own food & drink on board and in my experience the on board best seller seems to be coffee.All airport airside shops are geared up for food & drink sale to LCC airline pax,for example Boots

How much was the" scam" -35cents a sandwich?

quelle horreur!

Must rush off to post on TripAdvisor or phone Watchdog!?

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
9. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

My heart drops when I see a title like this especially warm a posters shouts in CAPITALS...

However I think he has a point. A seller who has mistakenly mispriced goods does not have to sell at the lower price, ie TV priced at £2.99 should be £299.

However it is a criminal offence to knowingly mislead a purchaser with the incorrect price of goods ie advertise at a lower price than is sold at. Clearly Ryanair have just put the prices up and the prices in the magazine are not a mistake so it can be argued the prices are misleading. Much better they had added a sticker saying prices have gone up.

See CAB advice guide, fact sheet on consumer.

But if Ryanair get away with it they are quids in. Might be an idea to contact Citizens Advice consumer helpline (formerly consumer direct) and report it.

For once I support the OP just wish they had written it a bit less aggressively.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: RYAN AIR - food price scam 2013

"It's not a scam lex, this happens in other retail businesses also."

So therefore it's not a scam? Look, I agree with you to the extent that a scam is usually thought to involve some sort of malicious intent and in this case I doubt there is any, But it's certainly something I would consider poor business practice.