We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

Milton Keynes...
travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

hello,

I'm in rather a big mess at the monent.

I'm due to travel to spain in 14 days and realised that my ticket were booked under my married name but my passport is still under maiden name.

I havew spoken to many different ppl from the passort office , the airline ect and and some stated i can travel with my marriage certificate, some advised i pay the fee to have this amended on the tickets ?

im really confused and not sure to do, the fee is almost the same price of the original ticket price! :-(

just wondering if they would be any ways around it. Dont wana end up not getting the plane due to that mistake ..

PLEASE HELP !

PS I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 4 YEARS NOW ..

THANKS

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

As far as I'm aware your ticket has to match your passport. I think the days of being able to show a marriage certificate are gone, but only the airline can you tell definitely. Which airline is it?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
2. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

As said, probably only the airline will tell you whether it will allow you on their plane. As far as immigration are concerned, just a valid passport will be enough unless you complicate matters by telling them of your change of circumstances.

However, while waiting to hear back from the airline, I'd be investigating getting a new, express passport issued in your married name. It would be cheaper than the value of the lost holiday.

SWT

Milton Keynes...
3. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

im travelling with Thomson.. last year we travelled and it was the same thing and managed to travel with my marriage certificate but im just wondering if its was luck ! last year was with Ryan air

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
4. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

It might be better and cheaper to see if the UK Passport Office (Premium or Fast track Service) can get you a new passport in time - I doubt you'll be able to travel with a mismatch on the ticket & passport but it can be down to the staff on the day.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Milton Keynes...
5. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

i dont think i will be able to get an express passport as im French but living in the uk for almost 10 years.

The good news is that either i pay the fee now or on the departure date it will still be the same. just so annoying to pay all that money just for a name change.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
6. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

After 4 years of marriage and after flying last year and considering yourself lucky to have been able to do so, any problems that arise are really your own fault. I strongly suggest that after this trip you IMMEDIATELY get a new passport with the proper name.

Wales
reviews: 14
7. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

As said above - or book your next tickets in your maiden name.

Milton Keynes...
8. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

@ rdglady thank you for you reply and yes i know that this is my own fault ! and im sure im not the only only that had done this mistake.

i will kindlt take some advise on board !

Banbury
9. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

Well you don't necessarily need a passport to fly, you can fly from the UK to the channel Islands without a passport, a driving license for example will do and they're not even in the EU. So does the name on the passport really need to match or will valid i.d do.? I'm fairly sure that the Spanish immigration people wouldn't insist on a passport for a french National entering Spain, so does the OP really need a passport for the trip or is this just another example of an airline imposing it's own rules again?

Edited: 9:25 am, May 30, 2013
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
10. Re: travelling with maiden name passport and marriage certificat

UK citizens can't travel to Spain on their driving licence, and if they could, the names would still have to match. I don't know any airlines that will let you fly if you have ticket in a different name to your identification, whatever type it is.