We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

Paradise Point...
JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

My husband and I are going to NY in oct, we fly from Brisbane to JFK via LA so I assume we will do customs/immigrations in LA, how much time should we allow to get our bags and everything else that is needed when we arrive in JFK? We are wanting to get a connecting flight to Buffalo airport so we can check out Niagara Falls but wasn't sure what time to book for that flight, we would have been traveling for 24 hrs so don't want to spend longer than needed waiting for the next flight but also don't want to miss our flight because we didn't allow enough time. How much time do you think I will need from landing to take off for the next flight?

Thanks so much!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
1. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

The first thing you need to do is see how early the Jet Blue flight tells you to allow at the airport. Then, I would leave at least another 1.5 hours to get you luggage and change terminals. If you are NOT on one ticket I would up that to two extra hours. ( minimal)

Paradise Point...
2. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

Thanks, it says check in closes 30mins prior to departure time. My flight arrives in at 5.10pm, there is a flight at 7pm and then at 8.15pm, so it looks like the 7pm may just not be enough time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
3. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

I would say 2 hours would be the minimum. You don't know whether your LAX-JFK flight will land on time. Should you miss your original Jetblue flight, Jetblue could very well charge you change fees plus fare difference to get onto the next available flight.

Pasig, Philippines
reviews: 19
4. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

I have an exact same situation. I wonder how long it took you to change terminals and how you transferred between terminals? I have quite a few luggage and is contemplating getting a cab to change terminals. Any suggestions?

louisville
reviews: 73
5. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

I just tried to make a connection at JFK for a connection to Rome. We ran between terminals and it still took us a good 20 minutes. If you have to collect luggage, go through customs, etc. I would say closer to 3 hours. It will save you stress, especially if your flight is late.

In our experience, we were there before plane took off, but they wouldnt let us board. They said flight manifest closed 30 minutes before flight. Delta couldnt get us out for 2 days to Rome.

Can't speak for others, but JFK was very unpleasant place to connect. We travel quite a bit, but Delta at JFK was the worse. Rude staff everywhere.

Canada
reviews: 47
6. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

There is an air train that goes between all the terminals in a circuit. Comes about every 7 minutes in peak times, maybe 15 in off times. It is free. This is the easiest way to go between terminals. No need for a taxi.

Pasig, Philippines
7. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

Hi mathladyca49, Thanks for this. My only concern about taking the air train is that I have 3 ig luggages coming off an international flight. My previous experience riding it from another terminal is that there are long walks and narrow escalators going into and off of it, ut thats based a connecting flight experience. In this case, since my tickets were booked independent of each other, would that be challenging?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

There are long walks and narrow escalators to get to the taxi queues also. The AirTrain is generally more accessible than ground transportation is, and you don't have to wait in a long queue for the AirTrain.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
9. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

You can also take a luggage cart on the AirTrain. You can't take a luggage cart to a taxi.

Pasig, Philippines
10. Re: JFK Terminal 7 to Terminal 5

Ok, that works if they allow carts in there. I hope there's elevators too. I didnt notice last time. I also read that Cathay and Jetblu now has interlink agreement so I hope theyll consider retagging my bags.

Thank you so much!