We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

Boston...
Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to Berlin next year on Lufthansa from the United States. I am fortunate in that I live in a city where I can fly on Lufthansa non stop to either one of their hubs in Frankfurt or Munich.

What are some realistic, recommended connection times for Lufthansa flights in Frankfurt and Munich? I generally like to be cautious and try to take longer connections when I fly domestically in the US, but am generally unfamiliar with connection times at German airports.

Any advice will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help given.

South Pole
reviews: 37
1. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

2 hrs min in frankfurt.

1 hour in munich altho they boast 30 mins on their web site which I don't doubt is possible if your arriving flight is on time.

munich-airport.de/en/…index.jsp

if u have a choice, go via MUC.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 52
2. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

Book your trip through Munich. It is head-and-shoulders better than Frankfurt for connections. Frankfurt is a HUGE airport, so you will face lineups at passport control, then again as you re-enter security. Then, you need to get to the gate, which may be a long, long way away.

Munich is a smaller airport with lower passenger volume. You literally walk through customs and security, then your gate is never that far away.

Do yourself a favour - if you have the option, take Munich even if it costs a few bucks more. You'll be glad you did. Frankfurt is a zoo at the best of times.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 77
3. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

2hr bare min in Frankfurt. As others have said, Munich is much easier. Frankfurt is big with lots more passengers, longer lines, and longer walks. Munich is good sized but not as big as Frankfurt. You could make a 1hr transfer in Munich if the flights are on time, although personally I'd allow 2 for contingency.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 362
4. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

Impossible to compare FRA to MUC: FRA is the worse hub in Europe while MUC is one of the best! Time-wise, I am with the others: 2 hours minimum at FRA and 1 at MUC. If you can do choose MUC!

@Craig1963: "Frankfurt is a zoo at the best of times." LoL!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
5. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

I do agree with the majority sentiments too, that Munich is much easier. But Frankfurt has improved over the recent years, and I think it's not so bad now - certainly not as bad as it used to be.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

KVE: did you go to FRA since last year's "improvements"?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
7. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

By improvements, do you mean the Terminal 1 extension?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

No. Although there is a link. You now have to through security (unless very lucky) when transiting and these lines are huge. So still the very long walks, but crowded security check in addition to passport control whenever entering/exiting Schengen area (the latter not being new).

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 374
9. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

I would recommend Munich and have often made 35 minute connections for flights within the Schengen area ( I've missed just the one, when the flight arrived late......). You probably should allow a little more time for International connections though.

Munich often appears in those top 10 Airports in Europe surveys

10. Re: Recommended connection time in Frankfurt and Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 29, 2014