We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

Tennessee
Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

When looking at flights on airline sites it says the flight takes about 1 1/2 hours. Is that taking into account the time the plane is on the runway at take off and landing? It would seem that the flight would be a little bit shorter.

Do any of you know exactly how long the plane is actually in the air between Miami and Cancun?

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

"Do any of you know exactly how long the plane is actually in the air between Miami and Cancun?"

As far as I'm aware the flight time specified by airlines can vary depending on how they measure it but it's common to start at push back from the gate and stop at wheels down on landing - almost every flight I've taken, except where delayed en route due to weather diversions etc, has been less than the stated flight time.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
2. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

The departure and arrival times the airline publishes are gate to gate. Obviously there is ground time factored in. How much will depend on the airports involved and the airline's algorithm for padding the flight times.

Flightaware.com shows actual wheels up/down time, but they lose live tracking data outside of the US.

flightaware.com/live/…tracklog

The days routing and weather, winds, etc. will affect it. For a gate to gate time of 1:30, assume 1:15-1:20 in the air as a rough guess.

Tennessee
3. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that has been my experience also. I do hope that someone who has made that flight will chime in because I would like to know the actual time it takes.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

Flightaware will show you the historical flight times, but nobody can predict if it will be 1:10 or 1:50 tomorrow. Why would you worry about the exact time in the air?

Tennessee
5. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

Thanks for the site, tev9999.

Tennessee
6. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

Just curious. I have flown from Atlanta to Lima, Peru three times. The flight takes about 6 hours 45 minutes. One time we got there in just under 6 hours because we had a nice tailwind. So, I know that weather and conditions make a difference.

I'm just curious about actual flight times vs. what is posted on the websites.

7. Re: Miami to Cancun: actual time in the air.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 27, 2014