We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

main cabin extra - American Airlines

Dublin
reviews: 6
main cabin extra - American Airlines

Hi guys,

I'm flying American on a new service from Dublin too JFK and connecting on too San Fran.

I recently injured myself training and my knee is badly hurt.

I'm hopeful that I won't require surgery but I know my knee is going to be bad for several months.

Do the cabin extra seats give you noticeable extra room?

Is there a big difference between them and normal economy?

Is appreciate the advice.

19 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

The info is on the American website but from memory its another 2 or 3 inches, which can make quite a difference. Same width AFAICR.

Dublin
2. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

Cheers Joe

Southlake, Texas
reviews: 51
3. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

We recently flew DFW-LHR on AA and I believe main cabin extra is 6 inches more leg room; same width. My 6'4" husband says it's a very noticeable difference and worth the extra cost to him. So much so, that we are flying to LHR again soon, and we are not sitting together since there was only 1 main cabin extra seat available!

Dallas
reviews: 22
4. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

I just flew from Dallas to Hawaii and back in main cabin extra seats. Found that there was considerable more leg room. I could even cross one leg over the other, and stretch my legs out full with no problem. We are doing the same in September, and going to continue to use instead of first class. Not worth using up all our miles in first for some mediocre food and so much room you can't use it all. Lay down seats are nice, but I still can't sleep so why go in first.

One thing we did notice, there was an incredible amount of blowing air on our seats on the port side and in the middle row. Next time I'm going to wear slacks instead of shorts. They do provide a light blanket that helps some.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
5. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

You're not eligible for an emergency row seat due to reduced mobility (have to be able to move quickly in cse of an emergency).

Dublin
6. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

Thanks guys,

Not all main cabin extra seats are emegency exits so immobility isint a issue.

Changed my seats based on your help so thank you its just peace of mind that if I'm not 100% then ill have a little extra room.

Illinois
reviews: 24
7. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

How much extra do the Main Cabin Extra seats cost?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
8. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

MCE pricing depends on the route. It is free for AA and Oneworld elites.

www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp…

San Jose, California
reviews: 5
9. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

Does anyone know if the price for the Main Cabin Extra changes closer to the flight date? I was thinking maybe if no one buys those seats, the price will go down 24 hours before check in. We have a 2.5 hour layover in DFW and going from international to domestic. We're currently seated in row 29 and buying a main cabin extra seat would put us around row 12. I'm not sure if the time difference between row 29 and row 12 in getting into the customs line is worth the cost.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
10. Re: main cabin extra - American Airlines

You did not say the cost, but 17 rows is about an extrs hundred people off the plane and in immigration line ahead of you. Maybe that's an extra 10 or 15 minute wait.

Reply to: main cabin extra - American Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted