We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 1
Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Has anyone been caught out by this change in policy from July '12 Thai Airlines now charge £36/kilo and a set of golf clubs is charged at 6kg, yes that is £216 EACH WAY........ I had to call them direct twice because I did not believe it when my travel agent told me. Hilariously i found an article online about them being a golfer friendly airline, if you fly from India that is from May to Oct they are waiving the fees, guess they are making them back from us in Europe then. So glad I checked before booking, Phew!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 226
1. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Best to hire them there and save a fortune.

Whilst not the same airline/route it is now much cheaper to hire in Spain (Malaga airport €35-40,Taylor Made) rather than pay FR £50 each way for clubs

uk
reviews: 73
2. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Ouch!

Nasty surprise.

My hubby is a huge golfer and always takes his clubs on holiday, he'd never entertain the thought of hiring clubs. This is definately something we'll be alert to moving forward.

Nuremberg, Germany
3. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Big thanks for the info, would probably not have noted that change.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

My hubby yes, easy but as a female hire clubs can be a bit more difficult to guarantee, plus playing 6 or 7 times during the holiday would make it expensive for an inferior experience. We've been travelling the world with our own clubs for years and really prefer it but that's down to personal preference I guess.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

At the risk of being verbally attacked. If I want to bring a second suitcase I have to pay extra. Why should golf clubs get a free pass? It says that if they are within your allowance ( weight) then you don't pay.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Exactly RG !!!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
7. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Hi,

Thai has long been on the more expensive side of most baggage fees.. that said I do think there is a cost justification for additional fees to carry clubs as they are handled and loaded differently than traditional bags are.

Travel Safe,

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 226
8. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Just an aside on how things can change. In my younger days,most of the legacy airlines would carry my scuba dive bag FOC (excluding tank and weights,of course).

I dread to think of the costs now.

and

#4 that price of €35 was not per round but per week,an example is here

http://www.malagagolfclubshire.com/

uk
reviews: 73
9. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

Golf clubs don't get a free pass but most airlines just treat them as a standard bag, therefore they can be carried in your free allowance.

The same argument stands with babies, you pay a fraction of the ticket price but most airlines allow you to check a stroller and car seat for free.

10. Re: Thai Airline cost for carrying golf clubs are outrageous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 26, 2014