We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson staff lying at check-in

Leeds, United...
reviews: 10
Thomson staff lying at check-in

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me. On arriving at Manchester airport 2hrs early for a 10hr flight, we are told at check-in that there are no seats left for us to sit together. However they could sit us together if we upgraded to the emergency exit seats (or their premier class) for £100. All seems very reasonable until we boarded the plane and discovered there were 40-50 spare seats. Approx 12-15 consecutive rows of the central bank (3 seats) of seats. In the end, we had a 3-seat block each WITHOUT having to pay the £100 upgrade. It was obviously a blantant lie by the staff in order to elicit yet more funds from us for an upgrade we didn't actually need. I'm now wondering how often this happens and how many Thomson passengers pay-up for an upgrade that they didn't actually need? I'm seething. I will never travel with them again after they made it incredibly difficult just to even make contact with them in the first place to raise the complaint - there is no mechanism on their website for you to contact them. The "email us" option does not actually work as i sent this to them twice with no reply. Only to be told it's (conveniently) unreliable.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

The check in staff aren't employed by Thomsons. No tour operators make it easy lol. You want to try getting hold of Thomas Cooks these days! The best way is write to them recorded delivery. It's not the way they prefer complaints to be sent, but it's still the best way IMO.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

It s not a blatant lie.

Thomson allocate seat numbers 24 hours prior to departure from what is left after people who have paid to reserve their seats have chosen.

Check in staff cannot over ride this system bar if you wish to pay to upgrade to a higher class of seat.

:-)

3. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, May 22, 2013
Leeds, United...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

Family Parry - Don't be silly - i said there were around 50 empty seats on the plane - did they all cancel their reservations?

Liverpool
reviews: 8
5. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

Hi orangescubabunny,

I totally agree with you 100%, Good Luck!

Margaurite

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

The fact that the spare seats were in consecutive rows may suggest that they were blocked of for some reasons, for instance to balance the aircraft.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
7. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

Tour operators aren't in the slightest bit interested whether you spend £14k in one year, or six. They won't treat someone that perceives they have spent a lot of money, any differently than someone who has spent a few hundred.

It must have been a very quiet flight to have that many empty seats. I've never been on one of their longhaul flights that has been other than packed. The seats that had been allocated to you weren't together, but the check in staff aren't allowed to alter them.

Tees Valley
reviews: 76
8. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

I've no idea why that happened but I'd have been furious too.

I've had occasion to email Thomsons a couple of times over the last few months on flight matters and like yourself, didn't once receive a response. I don't think the 'email us' option is operational either.

But it's their loss because they're now last on my list as a company of choice.

Jules

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 248
9. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

I think that is terrible you had to pay extra.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
10. Re: Thomson staff lying at check-in

<<But it's their loss because they're now last on my list as a company of choice.>>

They won't be bothered in the slightest. It's the way business works. You lose a customer to a different tour operator, and gain one from the same tour operator because someone else has had a bad experience with them.