We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A poster tube on EasyJet

Yorkshire
reviews: 6
A poster tube on EasyJet

Have anyone had experience of taking a poster tube on EasyJet? I need to take a poster to a meeting. In the ideal case scenario, I would prefer to take it as cabin baggage (to lose it would be a hassle). However even if you roll it in a very narrow tube, it is still about 1 meter long, larger than permitted cabin baggage size. The customer service have confirmed that they will not make an exception. Another nuisance is that it will not fit in a medium-size suitcase either. I am now thinking if I need to take a really big travel bag, or just check it as a second piece of hold luggage? (Solid plastic tube 12 cm diameter and about a meter long, unlikely to be broken.) Or any other option that did not come to my mind?

As a side note, I find it a bit bizarre because EasyJet make exception for musical instruments as cabin baggage, and allow much bigger sizes for them. A poster tube fits nicely in the overhead bin, and I would guess it is not that uncommon for busyness travelers to have posters with them.

Anyway, any experience with that?

20 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Couldn't you send it ahead by post or courier? Even email it to a local photo centre and get them to print one off for you to collect when you arrive wherever you're going?

London, United...
reviews: 47
2. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Assuming that it's the content of the poster which is important, can't you just fold it up into a size which will fit into your hand luggage?

Although EJ allow musical instruments, that;s at the Captain's discretion, there must be enough space in the locker, and it normally counts as your single piece of hand luggage.

Manchester
reviews: 91
3. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

I bought a print recently in Venice which was rolled up in a poster tube, it fitted diagonaly in my hand luggage, not sure if thats any help to you.

Tehran
4. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

You will be fine by carrying it as a hand luggage on any airliner. However, cheap flights may charge you for it. People cary huge instruments like cello onaboard, and we always bring large posters in 120cm long tubes onboard. In fact all the students and researchers around the world carry posters onboard. If you are going to present the it somewhere, never give it as a checked in luggage. They will loose you poster somewhere and you will get screwed.

Edited: 8:09 am, May 23, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

"You will be fine by carrying it as a hand luggage on any airliner."

Eh, no you won't.

Won't it fit diagonally in your checked bag if you get one big enough? If they lose your bag it will be a lot of hassle anyway. Most bags are lost when flights are connecting and as EZY are a point to point outfit they don't have a reputation for losing bags AFAIK.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 65
6. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Unless you can fly a differant airline,BA? Then put it in a case of some sort, on its own it could get routed the wrong way in the baggage system

Exeter, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Why don't you put it in a musical instrument case?

Yorkshire
reviews: 6
8. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Many thanks to everyone.

> send it ahead by post or courier? Even email it to a local photo centre

Both are possibilities, though with a bit of hassle.

> can't you just fold it up into a size

Unfortunately you cannot fold a piece of paper 90x120 cm neatly. This is why poster tubes exist.

> it fitted diagonaly in my hand luggage

Good idea, but it is a bit too big!

> You will be fine by carrying it as a hand luggage on any airliner

Unfortunately, not with EasyJet!

> Won't it fit diagonally in your checked bag

It will, if I take a much bigger bag than I really need. This is what I will probably do in the end of the day.

> Why don't you put it in a musical instrument case?

Yes, I was thinking of borrowing a friend's flute!

Boston...
reviews: 3
9. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

Hi igro01, have you taken your flight yet? I'm wondering how it goes. I'm flying next week and have the same question. I figure I can just say it is a bassoon or something. Regardless, I imagine I'll have to check my other bag into the aircraft hold.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: A poster tube on EasyJet

"Regardless, I imagine I'll have to check my other bag into the aircraft hold."

You will. It's strictly one item only so if you're bringing a "musical instrument" on board that will count as your carry-on allowance.

Reply to: A poster tube on EasyJet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted