We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA lost luggage

Hong Kong, China
BA lost luggage

BA flight from London to Hong Kong. They lost my luggage full of 78 rpm records. I was devastated, some so rare items, I dare not think about it. They offered me £30 compensation, it cost me £220 in phone bills trying to get someone to look for them. They actually make money from putting you on hold. I found several auction houses in London that sell off "lost luggage" and kept doing a search for records. 4 months later, guess what, they were selling off my records that they claim they could not find. On calling up the auction house, they read out a few titles and that confirmed that they were my records. No they were NOT my records they belonged to BA and there was nothing I could do but bid on them again in the hope that I would win back my own records. The ladies in the auction house were very helpful and I did win back my records for £60. 1.2 million bags were "irretrievably lost" by BA in 2007.

Shocking really.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
1. Re: BA lost luggage

Why on earth did you pack a valuable record collection in your hold baggage? I assume you were covered by insurance for such an event.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 52
2. Re: BA lost luggage

Just to clarify... was the suitcase labeled and if so how? Not that it will help you but just as a heads up for others.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 65
3. Re: BA lost luggage

Good heavens 1.2 million bags were irretrievably lost by BA in one year. That sounds an incredibly high number, approx 1 in 25 bags are lost on passenger numbers of 30 million. And by irretrievably you mean never found? So that doesn't take into account bags that are delayed or lost and then found.

I always put my contact details, itinerary and flight numbers inside the case, just in case all labels come off. Touch wood never had any problems.

Hong Kong, China
4. Re: BA lost luggage

I was planning to carry it hand luggage. But on checkin they said I could only carry one bag as hand luggage (some security measure for that day, Online it clearly says two ) and as I had my laptop with me and a moments loss of sense I checked in the bag with records. Clearly labeled with my name and a security tag from checkin.

5. Re: BA lost luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, May 22, 2013
Hong Kong, China
6. Re: BA lost luggage

I found my records at

Greasby's Auctioneers & Valuers

Here is the site that told me about them.

roundaboutharlow.co.uk/articles/…Page1.html

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
7. Re: BA lost luggage

"ever tried to claim on your holiday insurance?. The amount of time it takes is not worth it." - Not true as the time invested could depend on the value of the items.

"BA simply steals your bags and sells them off to an auction house." - Every airline eventually sells off "lost luggage" as a means of disposal.

Hong Kong, China
8. Re: BA lost luggage

Greasby's Auctioneers & Valuers told me the monies goes to BA who donate a tiny percentage of it to charity.

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: BA lost luggage

"ever tried to claim on your holiday insurance?. The amount of time it takes is not worth it." - Not true as the time invested could depend on the value of the items.

I once lost a camera worth £500 it took me 4 interviews and loss of wages before they returned £200.

"BA simply steals your bags and sells them off to an auction house." - Every airline eventually sells off "lost luggage" as a means of disposal.

But these are NOT "LOST". they just do not look for them. Try calling BA at Heathrow. You will find you are talking to some guy in a warehouse in Manchester. No your luggage is not in Manchester, it's in Heathrow.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
10. Re: BA lost luggage

I think the general advice to travellers is to only pack in your hold baggage items that are of low value and that can be easily replaced should your baggage go adrift.

To pack a valuable record collection is just plane (excuse the pun) crazy .

I have heard of passengers packing iPads, digital cameras, jewelery etc.. Surely insurance or no insurance this is just asking for trouble.