We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport approach

Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 1
Best airport approach

There is much debate about which is the world's best airport, but which airport has the best views on approach?

Other than HKG, I personally have only ever flown into European airports, so I cannot offer much of a perspective outside of Europe, though, within Europe, I have landed at numerous airports.

For me, the best views from the aircraft I have experienced are those on approach to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. You get a full panorama of the Dutch coastline over Scheveningen and Noordwijk, then the shipping docks and canals that feed into the North Sea from inland, then the low-lying fields followed by the view of the yellow double-decker trains and snelweg feeding the airport in the final few seconds before touchdown.

Can any other airport approach beat that?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
1. Re: Best airport approach

Cape Town?

London is pretty impressive when you come in from the North east?

I love most airport approaches.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Best airport approach

Sydney from the north?

Best ever? Surely Kai Tak in Hong Kong can't ever be beaten.

tucson, az
reviews: 5
3. Re: Best airport approach

When we approached the Honolulu Airport we flew right over Pearl Harbor and we looked right down at the memorial.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
4. Re: Best airport approach

Kai Tak is something I would have been happy to experience. But nowadays only available in video I am afraid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-ArLYsloI

Male is probably the best approach I know (and of course the fact it means holidays helps :-)). Those islands are magic. In general I like seaside approaches like in Nice, Beirut or Hong Kong.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 206
5. Re: Best airport approach

Flying in/out of Hong Kong is very impressive. I was also very impressed with the view flying in/out of Ayres Rock airport. Heathrow is impressive too especially if you've got to come through the centre of London and can spot all the famous landmarks from the air.

uk
reviews: 13
6. Re: Best airport approach

I agree London, last year on way back from Thailand on an early morning flight I managed to pick out the London eye, Buckingham Palace to name but two, which is quite good for me as my long distance vision even with glasses is not that great. I think the most odd was flying across the desert and seeing Las Vegas for the first time with all its madness stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Deb

Edinburgh
reviews: 14
7. Re: Best airport approach

Kai Tak - if you are lucky enough to be able to see it through the pollution...

Ashford, United...
reviews: 10
8. Re: Best airport approach

For me its Kadhdhoo airport in Laamu Atoll, Maldives. Arrived there on a liveaboard dive boat but our departure was take off at sunrise which was amazing with the islands in the atoll spread out in front of you in the turquoise sea.

Edinburgh
reviews: 14
9. Re: Best airport approach

Flying into Inverness is great - it's either Loch Ness or the Grampians, the Moray firth, the Beauly Firth and the Kessock Bridge with Ben Wyvis in the baclkground. My favourite.

Maidstone, United...
10. Re: Best airport approach

Not sure if its the same on approach as i arrived overland but on take-off from Livingstone in Zambia if you happen to be on the right side of the plane you can get a spectacular view of Victoria Falls.

Edited: 4:02 am, May 22, 2013