We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

Newport, Wales...
Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

Hi,

I am travelling to the Caribbean in July, the beginning of hurricane/ tropical storm season.

I am shopping for travel insurance but am confused. I understand that my travel agent will help me if THEY decide the trip/ flight is cancelled however what if they have not cancelled our trip/ flight and we can see on the news that the location is affected/ due to be hit?

I have found that American insurers offer "cancel for any reason" coverage but cannot find any UK insurers who understand that we may feel it may be too dangerous to proceed with the trip.

Does anyone know of an insurer who covers natural disasters properly? Thank you v much :)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

I don't know any travel insurance that will cover you because you decide it's too dangerous. If it wasn't safe the tour operator would cancel/delay the holiday, and the airlines wouldn't be flying in.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

No aircraft or tour operators will take you somewhere that is in imminent danger.

If you decide you don't want to go just because there may be an event then I'm afraid you lose your holiday.

If you are so nervous you would cancel a holiday even though the tour operators/airlines are still travelling to the destination then booking a holiday during hurricane season probably wasn't the smartest move.

:-)

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

Does anyone know of an insurer who covers natural disasters properly? Thank you v much :)

-------

Where "properly" means you decide on a whim ? No.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

I guess that is the risk you take travelling to this region at that time. You build the risk in to your plans when deciding the destination.

I don't think you will find a company that will insure you for an occasion when it is you that decides it is too dangerous to travel.

Newport, Wales...
5. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

Fair enough, I understand it is a risk going at this time. I had just wondered if the cancel for any reason clause existed for UK policies, apparently not.

I'm sure the holiday will be fine but I am willing to pay to put my mind at ease, that's all. Thank you for your comments.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

It's a shame that UK insurers haven't caught up to what's offered in the US.

Newport, Wales...
7. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

I completely agree. I cant be the only one willing to pay more to get this extra cover. Thanks for your comment.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
8. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

"I had just wondered if the cancel for any reason clause existed for UK policies, apparently not." - None exist that I've ever seen and if they did they would be extremely expensive, insurance underwriters would on risk likelihood etc and an all reasons policy has simply too many variables.

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

It would be interesting to know from US members what that kind of cover costs. I get the impression from various forums that many Americans don't take out travel insurance because of the high cost.

Iowa
reviews: 32
10. Re: Act of God/ natural disaster predicted to hit holiday

When do you travel? Early July, late July?

July is pretty early in the season. I wouldn't worry about what might happen. We'd all be staying home and hiding under the sheets.

Edited: 5:34 pm, May 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions