We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Whitehorse, Canada
typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

A one letter typo in my daughter's surname means she will not be able to visit with friends in Vladivostok, and she loses the $3500 ticket cost. Air Canada thoroughly explored all options on this question for me, even though the ticket stock was for Korean Air - who were also helpful - but both airlines had there hands tied because the ticket was bought/owned by Travelocity and they would not make the simple one letter change to my daughter's ticket. Yes, they refuse to do this without an open-ended agreement to accept substantial price rise for the re-issue of the ticket - something we cannot afford to do.

Is there any way one can recover the cost of the ticket or make effective complaint to this end?

Thank you.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

If the ticket has to be re-issued what do you want them to do? It sucks big time but she should have checked her details more carefully and/or booked direct from the airline, especially with such an expensive ticket.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
2. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

If Travelocity issued the ticket, then they have to reissue the ticket with the change fee and difference in fare as implemented by the airlines (in this case I'm guessing KA since it is their ticket stock). If Travelocity went ahead and reissued for no fee, they would get a debit memo from the airline and have to pay them, so this is not them, but the airline charging the fees. (although Travelocity may have a fee for doing the change as well, but the majority of the cost is from the airline).

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 84
3. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

CLL2 - What is the difference in the last name on the passport vs the ticket? I know you say it's one letter, but does it change the intent of the name? I would think something like Speir vs Spier would not be an issue (of course, I've never had to encounter this so I am probably wrong.)

Whitehorse, Canada
4. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Thank you. Yes, one would normally, but in fact the timeline allowed by Travelocity was already beyond the 24 hours by the time my daughter received the contractual email. They refused to do anything at that point. I question whether they should be sending confirming, contract-binding emails to minors. (The purchaser of the ticket was a relative who was/is located elsewhere.)

australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

It sounds like the airlines are happy to do the correction for nothing so there is no reason why Travelocity cannot RING them and do it,

Fine they could charge you a standard change fee without the airfare price hike especially when the airlines aren't going to charge it.

Airlines do accommodate minor errors for free especially on international tickets!! It is not as if it is a cheap domestic flight

Another reason to NEVER buy from on-line third party providers

Whitehorse, Canada
6. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Thank you KimBux. The one letter typo is in the middle of the name and obviously does not make any substantive change. I personally might risk this and travel; I do not want to place my daughter in this position and possibly get her stranded in Korea or in Russia. And Air Canada advise against it.

Whitehorse, Canada
7. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Thank you Maried11. Travelocity have asked for a Waiver Document from Korean Air but KA cannot give this since they are not technically the owners of the ticket - Travelocity is. There is an impasse and nobody wants to do the common sense thing and simply change one letter - and be helpful.

Whitehorse, Canada
8. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Thank you jagjetfly. Yes, it is an expensive lesson and I would urge anyone not to deal with Travelocity who have an appalling attitude and no customer service policy other than a self-serving one. Both Korean Air and Air Canada, and especially the Air Canada ticket agent, have been as helpful as possible.

australia
reviews: 17
9. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Travelocity have asked for a Waiver Document from Korean Air but KA cannot give this since they are not technically the owners of the ticket - Travelocity is>>>>>

Stupidity at its best.

We can put Travelocity up there with the likes of Cheapoair now

Edmonton
reviews: 14
10. Re: typo travelocity loses $3500 flight

Then this is Korean Air being difficult, not Travelocity. They can't reissue for no fee without authorization from Korean Air. I reissue tickets all the time and have to charge the change fee unless the airline will waive it. This is on KA.