We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 43
split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Looks like I'll be needing to do the dreadfully long return flight from Melbourne to Manchester on a frequent basis as my parents are getting too old to visit us now.

Can't afford the business class flight prices but don't think my back could cope with the full 26+ hours journey anymore.

Is there a way to do the little hop and a jump flight of around 8 hours to Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Singapore etc (really don't care which as I will be in transit) and continue on with the 14 hour leg in business (then again in reverse on the return trip).

I've contacted Etihad direct who say that this isn't possible with them. Before I try others does anyone know if it is possible and what the percentage price difference roughly is added to a pauper class fare return?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 4:24 am, May 20, 2013
18 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Generally you do what you've done already - phone them. But as that doesn't seem to be an option with Ethiad try Singapore instead

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

There is no reason why it shouldn't be possible although not all airlines may offer this option - difficult to say the percentage price difference as this will vary but in my experience business class fares can be up to 4 or 5 x economy fares fares.

I doubt you'll be able to make an online booking and will need to call your airline - search on matrix to see your route options.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Last year my mother flew Qatar Airways business class Melbourne to Doha then economy class onto Cairo, so yes it is possible.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
4. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Why not fly PE instead? Gives you more leg room than economy but without the high cost of business?

uk
reviews: 73
5. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

To be honest though, IME, if you're clever with when you book the saving by flying one leg in EC will be limited.

We flew MAN to SYD in BC via Hong Kong with Cathay earlier this year and it cost a whole £172 more to fly the whole way in BC than to downgrade to EC for the shorter leg Hong Kong to OZ.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

PE is something I've thought of but seen very mixed reviews. I think there are various degrees of PE from airline to airline. Happy to have recommendations.

My back is aching just thinking about that flight again!

Thanks for the Qatar info I_Luv I'll be sure to contact them to see if that is an option to Manchester.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

Geordie, flight prices are soooo much cheaper UK-AUS than the other way round.

Cheapest Business class I have seen is nearly AUD$7,000 ($5K more than economy flight) which means if I was to do that we couldn't afford an actual family holiday for the rest of the year after a flight to see my parents :(

I've contemplated getting open end returns purchasing in UK and just getting a one-way from Aus. I have Aus and British passport so length of stay shouldn't be an issue.

We always knew when we emigrated that this would be an issue eventually, but hey-ho, that was our choice.....

UK
reviews: 84
8. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

I've contemplated getting open end returns purchasing in UK and just getting a one-way from Aus. I have Aus and British passport so length of stay shouldn't be an issue.

======

If this is a trip you will be doing regularly, then flying on a one-way ticket to the UK and then doing returns from the UK after that could work out cheaper even after "taking the hit" of a one way. You'll have to do the maths to work out if that is a good option. I know someone who was flying every two weeks UK-Sweden and it was a big saver for him to do that, whether once or twice a year wrks in your case, dont know.

re PE class, Qantas gets good reviews for theirs. Never flown it myself though.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
9. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

We did PE with Virgin from LHR to SYD via HK (domestic economy ABZ to LHR) and it was good. The extra legroom is invaluable especially for the length of the flight to Australia.

Our BC flight was only £250 more than doing PE so we've gone "upwards" this trip.

Doing lots of comparisons and perhaps enlisting the help of a travel agent (we'd never have found the deal we are on without her) could help too.

Madrid
reviews: 7
10. Re: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?

As Joe points out buying UK-AUS-UK is much cheaper.If you have any frequent flyer miles and can buy a 1 way MEL-MAN,that will be much cheaper than a straight purchase.Choose which carrier you wish to use,and look at how many trips will allow you an upgrade,which will also lower the cost of regular return trips.

Reply to: split flight class on long flight - is it possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted