We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International ticket rules help

reviews: 3
International ticket rules help

My 15 year son is spending next year at school in Rome. Lucky him. My wife is planning to travel over with him and then come home. Then the whole family is going to meet him for Xmas and we would like someone to be on his flight home. So here is the question: can I book my son and wife a rt ticket starting in SF in August returning in January and then book my wife a second Rt ticket (starting in Rome) September to December or will this not work for some reason? I would book them all now but we dont have the XMas dates set yet. I am making this too complicated? Thx

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: International ticket rules help

First, you are making it too complicated. Buy your son his round trip ticket, and buy your wife the ticket to accompany him out. You can call the airline to link the reservations so they'll know they're traveling together, though that's not strictly necessary. Just book them seats next to each other. When you know the Christmas dates, book those.

I believe airlines don't allow "nested" ticketing.

reviews: 3
2. Re: International ticket rules help

Thanks. My concern comes on the return flight as a flight I book for him now may not be available when we plan Xmas. Your nesting answer is the important part though. If that's not allowed than the question is mute. Thx

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
3. Re: International ticket rules help

Still don't exactly understand why you can't book it all. Yes, nested tickets may be against terms and conditions. May or may not be an issue, frankly I don't think it will. A bigger issue is likely going to be that the length of stay may kick the fare up.

Good luck.

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: International ticket rules help

Nested tickets do not apply if the tickets are purchased with different airlines.Use airline A for the first trip and airline b for the second.

5. Re: International ticket rules help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 22, 2014