We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving Australia with cigarettes

Melbourne, Australia
leaving Australia with cigarettes

Not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this question, but here goes…

I believe there are now greater restrictions on the amount of duty free cigarettes than can be purchased at Australian airports prior to international departures, but I am wondering what restrictions apply to the amount of cigarettes than can be taken out of Australia if they are simply purchased at the full retail price prior to arriving at the airport.

We will be flying into Paris and my research (which I hope is up-to-date) leads me to believe that it is allowable to bring up to 200 cigarettes per person into France, but I have been unable to find accurate information regarding taking retail-purchased cigarettes out of Australia.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

1. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:09 pm, May 18, 2013
Edited: 11:09 pm, May 18, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

Take as many as you like. But what you can take into another country is limited by their customs regs.

Why would you not buy them duty free after you get through security?

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
3. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

Don't know about Australian cigarette packs, but here in the US 200 cigarettes is only 1 carton. I doubt that the duty free shop would limit you to less than that amount.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 20
4. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

The new restrictions limit the number of cigarettes which can be brought INTO Australia (50 cigarettes) and don't apply to people LEAVING. The rules you need to check are the number of cigarettes you can take into whatever countries you are visiting.

You might as well purchase them duty free as they will be cheaper than paying the extra tax.

Brisbane
reviews: 26
5. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

I think you can take as many as you like but it's no use telling French customs officers you brought them at Woolworths and paid full price for those 1000 ciggies but these 200 we brought duty free then expect them to believe you and not charge you duty.

1200 is 1200 total no matter where you brought them. (before anyone complains 1200 is a number I picked)

Australia
reviews: 42
6. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

You can basically take whatever you want out of Australia (as long as its legal) - the only issue is what restrictions they have at the other end.

However, most trips to Paris will involve a stop over - if it's a place like KL they are wayyyy cheaper than Australia I,e $25au per carton....maybe we're your stopover is ask in that forum how much they are :)

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

Thanks everyone. It's really helpful. I thought they had stopped selling duty free cigarettes completely at Australian airports. Guess I was wrong. I was only intending to buy one carton anyway, so as to comply with the French regulations.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
8. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

As jacks pointed out, quite rightly - there's no direct flights to Paris so you'll be stopping somewhere on the way - probably the Middle East or somewhere in Asia.

Duty Free cigarettes are going to be cheaper at any one of those airports than they are in Australia. So, unless you want to buy a brand that are only available here, I would suggest waiting till you get to your stop over city.

Edited: 4:13 am, May 19, 2013
Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

As jacks pointed out, quite rightly - there's no direct flights to Paris so you'll be stopping somewhere on the way - probably the Middle East or somewhere in Asia.

There are plenty of direct flights to Paris.There are no nonstop flights to Paris.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: leaving Australia with cigarettes

>> The new restrictions limit the number of cigarettes which can be brought INTO Australia (50 cigarettes) <<

Wow, you learn something every day on here! I'll have to quit smoking before I visit Oz. :)