We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta baggage fees

Northern Ireland
reviews: 29
Delta baggage fees

Have booked following Delta flights which are all 1 booking and wondering if my internal domestic flights will have free baggage:-

Dublin to New York (Stop off for 3 nights)

New York to Miami (9 nights)

Miami to Dublin connecting at Atlantla.

Have checked baggage info on Delta Website but still not sure?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: Delta baggage fees

IF you were going straight from New York to Miami after arriving then your baggage would be free.

Since you are staying in NY and THEN taking another flight to Miami the domestic rules apply.

On your return, since you are going directly to Dublin after merely connecting in Atlanta, the baggage will be free again.

Northern Ireland
2. Re: Delta baggage fees

This is baggage info I found on Delta.com.

'If all flights are on the same itinerary, international

fees and rules apply to passengers traveling internationally with a connection or stopover the U.S. If an international passenger travels to the U.S. and continues their travel within the U.S. on a separate ticket, domestic rules apply.

As all my flights are on same itinerary/ticket irrespective of how long my stopover is in New York would my baggage not be free?

'

Edited: 3:21 pm, May 18, 2013
Milford, Ohio
reviews: 84
3. Re: Delta baggage fees

You will not get free baggage between New York and Miami. Although it's the same itinerary, it's not the same leg of the trip.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: Delta baggage fees

dolly, It DOES sound from what you quote that your luggage would be free but I'd check by calling the airline directly . I did not know that a 3 day visit after your international flight would entitle you to the international benefits.

Northern Ireland
5. Re: Delta baggage fees

Thanks for your help. I'll phone Delta directly. When I was proceeding with booking I wasn't prompted once to add baggage so hopefully that's a good indication.

Dublin
6. Re: Delta baggage fees

I myself am flying SNN-JFK-SFO-LAX-SNN with Delta Airlines, but with no stopover so do have free baggage with the internal flights. I am not sure but Check your itinerary, the print out confirmation that you got from Delta it gives a clear description of the baggage you are entitled to for your specific itinerary. Hope that helps.

atlanta
reviews: 24
7. Re: Delta baggage fees

Delta won't prompt y ou for luggage until you check in. But I can tell you that my mother has never convinced them that her overnight layover on her international trip to Punta Cana is covered by "free bags" even though I booked it as "one flight" (it's a legal Delta connection ;) )

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Delta baggage fees

Hi

Usually to get the international rates on domestic flights your onward flights have to be within 24 hrs.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
9. Re: Delta baggage fees

The "if all flights on same international itinerary" applies only to flights covered when you check in. Your ticket is essentially two international itineraries and one domestic itinerary combined into a single booking record. So because of your three day layover, the first "international itinerary" ends in NY.

If you are a good schmoozer, perhaps you can talk your bags on under international rules when you check in for your Miami flight, but be prepared to pay the domestic fees.

Northern Ireland
10. Re: Delta baggage fees

Spoke to Delta and as I thought the domestic flight from New York to Miami is covered as flights are all on same itinerary. Thanks everyone.