We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

Singapore River...
Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

Hi there,

Wondering if someone could help us here.

We are travelling to USA via Air China this june & transit in China Beijing airport.

We don't intent to go out from the airport because our transiting period is 5 hours & therefore our plane from Singapore lands in Beijing T3, & change plane at the same T3 based on our ticket & on the Air China as well.

We are Philippines citizen & aware that we are not one of the countries granted no visa when they enter & stay China within 72 hours.

It's too basic for me that if you are not passing any immingration then u dont need any visa in such country. I wonder if there is an exemption of this.

Appreciate any urgent response.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
1. Re: Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

There's quite a thorough discussion of how the TWOV (Transit-Without-Visa) works at FlyerTalk:

flyertalk.com/forum/china/894437-faq-prc-vis…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

According to the airport's website, you do not need a visa if you are making an international to international transfer without leaving the airport, and the onward flight is within 24 hours.

Click on step 3 in the link below and it says - "International Transfer passengers must go through immigration transfer desk. No Chinese visa is required for passengers holding a confirmed connecting fight ticket and transit in China within 24 hours".

en.bcia.com.cn/guide/transfer_i_i.shtml

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
3. Re: Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

In summary, nationals of 45 different nations are permitted to enter China during their transit (i.e. leave the airport into the city), without visa for 72 hours max.

The Philippines is not listed among the 45 nations, so (1) the limit is 24 hours maximum transit time without visa, not the 72 hours max and (2) you may not leave the airport without a visa.

In summary, as a citizen of the Philippines, you are okay not having a China visa (1) if you stay in the airport and do not go through customs/enter China, and (2) if you are in possession of a confirmed onward ticket.

A Filipino citizen only needs the China visa to go through immigration, out of the airport, and into China.

Edited: 11:51 pm, May 18, 2013
Singapore River...
4. Re: Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the inputs here.

It's great to hear your support here & have been very helpful.

Actually, i'm just making sure of my travel here. Don't need any hassle during that time.

@Darthanonymous- i also went to flyertalk & asked the same thing.

& all of us are having the same - no need to get the VISA (because one thing here in Singapore, the VISA cost $90 SGD, its to pricey for such thing)

Again, thanks a lot!

Mabuhay!

5. Re: Travelling to USA via Air china, Should we get China visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 21, 2014