We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

london
reviews: 7
Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

I Have pre booked 2 exit row seats on Virgin for our trip to Vegas from Gatwick. I have been informed that because they need to make sure you are fit and can open the door in an emergency you cannot check in on line but instead use a dedicated check in at the airport to collect your boarding pass and see exactly where your seat is allocated. Is this correct and has anyone done this? Apparently even if I look on line the seat plan will not be available for me to view as my seat is already assigned ( in as much as its an exit row - won't know which one until we check in). Just like to hear from anyone who has done this so I get it clear exactly what I have to do. Thanks.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
1. Re: Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

"I have been informed . . ." Passive voice can make things unclear. WHO told you this? The airline? Each airline's rules can be different. I've run into cases where one can't book an exit row until the day of the flight. And even then each person has to agree verbally that they can perform the assigned tasks, etc., including understanding and passing on instructions in the local language (I fly a fair amount in Brazil).

" . . .use a dedicated check in at the airport to collect your boarding pass and see exactly where your seat is allocated." You're saying you've paid extra for an exit row, but not only can't you check in online but you won't know your exact seat until the day of the flight? Or that you have a seat reserved but it can't be confirmed until you check-in in person. If there's a dedicated line for this, it doesn't sound too painful.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 59
2. Re: Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

I know it's standard on airlines that you have to check in at the airport if you've booked an exit row so they can check you are eligible to sit there. So that part is correct. Don't know how virgin allocates the exit rows .

Australia
reviews: 42
3. Re: Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

This isn't on Singapore - we had exit seats and booked in online. It wasn't till we were on board that they made sure we were fit to be there. Same with a flight from langkawi to Penang with airasia - exit seats and able to get boarding passes before the airport.

Maybe ring virgin to find out if this is their policy as most will just ask online with a tick box that you are fit and over 18. Plus I have always been able to see we're my exit seat is :)

london
reviews: 7
4. Re: Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

It's Virgin I spoke to yesterday to ask why I cannot access the seat map. He told me as I pre-booked the exit row that now forms part of my booking and I have an emailed receipt which says as much. I am guaranteed an exit row but which one will be allocated at the airport once they checked I am fit etc. Still thought I could have checked in on line and maybe just not printed boarding pass but apparently not. Virgin now let you pre-book exit rows when you book your ticket instead of hoping there is one available at the airport but they will refund you if for any reason they can't honour the seat.

5. Re: Pre Booked Exit Row on Virgin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 20, 2014