We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

Sydney
reviews: 44
Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has experienced the terrible time we have had trying to buy a third seat for just two people with either Singapore Airlines, or other airline.

It took just on a week before we could finally be given the cost (no one could tell the travel agent) and after 3 weeks we are still waiting for someone at Singapore Airlines to ticket the 3 seats to Singapore and return. It appears no one here in Sydney knows how. (Our agent says he must have made 20 calls to Singapore Airlines and is being given the run around).

We have never done this before but given our size and back issues, we thought it would be worth while. After reading other posts when eventually someone can give our agent the 3 tickets, I now worry they won't be put together.

Has anyone had similar experience or indeed bought a spare seat for comfort? This is mostly a rant but I am finding it extremely irritating and stressful. Thanks.

28 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

Wouldn't it have been easier to book business class seats?

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 67
2. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

I'd guess Hans that price would be a factor as business is generally a lot more than 1.5 times the price of economy! Easier yes but not necessarily possible!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
3. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

I did not see OP mention price as a factor;-)

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 67
4. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

That's why I guessed ;). I'd assume they'd have booked business if they could afford it! And this was the alternative they could afford.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
5. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

;-)

Sydney
reviews: 44
6. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

No we could definitely not afford business. My husband is retiring and it was to be a one off splurge which is why it is so disappointing really.We also looked at premium economy but this was the most economical way.

I have just been reading the skytrax reviews for Singapore Airlines too and they really get a bad rap there which is only increasing my anxiety level.

Now is there anyone who has actually bought an additional seat please? Travel writers suggest it often for various reasons and reading posts, in America it is often mandatory for we big people. Who would think it would be that hard?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

Hi

Why not just book the extra seat for a family member, then check in online choosing three seats together, then the third person will just be a no show and you have your three seats.

I often, and I mean often, do this with Mini-cruises where two sharing a cabin is much less than a single person.

Jackie

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
8. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

Jackie - No 3 will be a no-show so the airline will give the seat to someone else - overbooked, waitlsted or just turning up last minute.

And the 3rd seat will be cancelled for the return flight

Edited: 9:07 am, May 17, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
9. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

I know Ryanair lets you book an another ticket if you require the extra seat room. It even tells you how you should name the ticket and you also get it for a cheaper price than the regular fare too but without going and checking I can't remember what the percentage off is.

Does the flight have to be with Singapore Airways? Could you use another carrier who can sell you the 3 tickets much easier?

australia
reviews: 17
10. Re: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people

If Singapore won't come to the party I would have headed to another airline but if you have already purchased your initial two seats then that would end up costly

Reply to: Singapore Airlines - buying 3 seats for 2 people
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted