We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lights off

QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
reviews: 51
lights off

could someone tell me why the cabin lights are turned off on night flights as you are about to land?

It is quite eerie sitting in the dark, do all carriers do this? it has happened to me on singapore and air asia landing in brisbane australia, there is probably a simple explanation which I am sure one our fellow t/a's will provide, thank you

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: lights off

so when the plane runs off the end of the runway and have to evacuate quickly your eyes don't have to adjust to the dark.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: lights off

yes cabin lights are dimmed for landings and take offs on all flights during dusk and dark hours.

For exactly the reason lien has stated.

:-)

Edited: 3:10 am, May 17, 2013
Bellingham...
reviews: 137
3. Re: lights off

Great question, I just asked my wife (former Lufthansa FA) and she said its to improve passengers visibility to the outside. Some people feel better if they are able to see outside during the takeoff and landing phase, this also apparently reduces air-sickness. I've flown in all kinds of weather and, lights on or off, many people will "lose it" in dense fog and/or snowy conditions down to legal minimums if they're susceptible to motion sickness. I'm ok on an aircraft but put me on a small boat in rough seas... Ugly!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 11
4. Re: lights off

And I always thought it was so the lights don't confuse ATC.

QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
reviews: 51
5. Re: lights off

Tomn8r4402, Jokingly I prefer your explanation rather than Liens, I can imagine the look on passengers faces as the stewardess announces that the lights are being turned off in case the pilot runs off the end of the runway, all jokes aside , both explanations really are the same e.g. to allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness outside , I knew my fellow t/a's would know the reason, thank you

London, United...
reviews: 21
6. Re: lights off

Never thought about it.....I think it's quite cool, like mood lighting and more relaxing.

Of course the practical reasons of sight adjustment as lien stated make perfect sense now I think about it :-D

...as long as the emergency services don't bring spotlights so they can see.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: lights off

Tomn8r4402, Jokingly I prefer your explanation rather than Liens, I can imagine the look on passengers faces as the stewardess announces that the lights are being turned off in case the pilot runs off the end of the runway, all jokes aside , both explanations really are the same e.g. to allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness outside , I knew my fellow t/a's would know the reason, thank you

No need to adjust your eyes when you run off the end of the runway,the huge fire engulfing you will provide plenty of illumination.

8. Re: lights off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 19, 2014