We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Perth, Australia
Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Hi,

First time posting so I hope I have this in the correct section.

I am looking for flights from Perth to Dublin for next month. Flying the obvious way (Qantas) is quite expensive ($1750 apx.). I have looked into booking direct from the airlines and also third party agents. I would rather book direct with the airline but the cheaper airlines (e.g. Thai Airlines) don't give the option to book to Dublin. The third party agents do (combination example Thai Airlines and SAS $1200apx)

If I stick with booking direct and use Thai Airlines to LHR and then book seperately a flight to Dublin with Aer Lingus what happens if the Thai Airlines flights are delayed and I miss the flight in LHR.

Booking a flight on the day in LHR when we arrive could turn out to be astronomical. Also would rather not spend the extra on getting a Flexi fare with Aerlingus as this is also out of my budget.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

I would book the 2 flights separately but just make sure you allow plenty of leeway between arriving at LHR and flying out to Dublin

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
2. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

On separate tickets, if you miss the connection, you have to buy a new, day of travel ticket from LHR to Dublin when you land. You are correct, it could be expensive. If you book separate tickets like this, you generally need to leave a lot of time between flights to allow for contingency.

While most travelers recommend not booking through a 3rd party agency, many do. I've done it a lot of times when I found the fare to be a lot cheaper than what I could get on the airlines direct website. It does happen. If you buy from a large, reputable site or agency, the main risk is if you have to change or cancel a flight, it is much harder to do than if you booked with the airline. Customer service will be worse as most third party sites are web sites without a large customer service phone support staff. Only you can decide if the savings is worth that possible headache. Lots of people do it successfully. Lots recommend against it.

And of course, if you book for a less well known third party site, you run the risk that it is a scam of some sort. You'll read lots of reviews on here of people that booked through a third party because they found a low fare and they got hit with unexpected fees later on.

If you do use a third party site, make sure to check with the airlines after booking to ensure they have your reservation. And again if they're booking you on separate itineraries, you'll need to allow ample time for the connection.

Madrid
reviews: 7
3. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

You can book a through ticket on British airways PER-SIN-LHR-DUB,on BA flight numbers which are code shares.You then have single ticket protection.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
4. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

I would book two separate tickets. I did years ago when Emirates didn't fly to Madrid. Flew into Gatwick and then flew Air Europa to Madrid - I made it so I had 4 hour leeway - which was fine to have a shower, have a wonder outside and then check into my next flight.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
5. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Rapidex I think the OPs point is that they are looking for the cheapest option which probably is not to book everything on one ticket.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
6. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

If you book a flight from LHR to Dublin that leaves you with plenty of time between flights at Heathrow then what you can do is ask Aer Lingus to schedule you on an earlier flight in the scenario where your incoming flight arrives on time. Because of the frequencies of services between Dublin and Heathrow with Aer Lingus I've often found they're quite willing to accomodate this, especially if you're original flight with them is between 4-7pm when most departures are booked out by business travellers.

Also, have you checked out prices with Emirates? They fly to both Dublin and Perth so they will connect you and it only involves a one-stop change.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Rapidex I think the OPs point is that they are looking for the cheapest option which probably is not to book everything on one ticket.

That rather depends on whether the booked flights arrive on time

.Booking a flight on the day in LHR when we arrive could turn out to be astronomical. Also would rather not spend the extra on getting a Flexi fare with Aerlingus as this is also out of my budget.

The OP also quite rightly has these worries.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
8. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Go with a reputable full service travel agent if you chose to go that route.

Limerick, Ireland
9. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Both Emirates and Etihad fly direct to Dublin from U.A.E

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
10. Re: Advice please. Perth to Dublin

Thai Airways is a discount airline now????