We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

LAX
LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

My flight itenary is LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(kUNMING)-CCU(India) by China eastern. As u can see- I have 2 stops/transits in china & I already found out from the China consulate that China has 24 hours visa free transit (including 2 stops in china). They could not confirm if my transit time is 26 hour will the immigration be lenient to still give me visa-free-transit (since it's just 2 hrs above the limit).

Has anyone transiting via China had a 25 or 26 hour transit time and did you need to apply for Chinese transit visa before arrival in shanghai? Plz help!!

12 replies to this topic
Illinois
reviews: 16
1. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

I wouldn't want to arrive in China without the appropriate visa. Assuming they let you on the plane. I haven't gotten the impression that China is known for visa leniency. I'd get the visa. That said, I've never tried what you're planning, but just because someone did doesn't mean you would.

LAX
2. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

If anybody has contacts in Shanghai immigration , please let us know or if you have the contact details for Shanghai immigration. I guess it's on the discretionary of the Immigration officer in Shanghai to allow visa free transit for 26 hours transit time in China.

Loughborough...
reviews: 18
3. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Shanghai Airport Immigration: 0086 2151105100

The bottom line is that you need a transit (G) visa as you are making a stop in China after Shanghai (which means you won't qualify for the 72-hour visa-free period in Shanghai) and your total transit time exceeds 24 hours.

You chose to transit through China, you should obey their rules. It's not your country, you are going through China as a guest so show some respect. Why would you even think about jeopardising your entire trip over this?

LAX
4. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Danny: Regarding the 2 stop transit in China-I have already received confirmation from China consulate that 2 stop transits are allowed and no visa is needed as long as there are confirmed tickets to a 3rd country and it's within 24 hours. The consulate was not sure if 2 hours above the limit is allowed-so I am trying to find the actual process at the Shanghai airport for passengers with these itenaries.

I will get a visa if I have to and it will cost me around $800+ since we are 4 passengers.

Also there are thousands of passengers traveling in this itenrary daily and I have both examples from friends/colleagues where they traveled with and without visa but I am still trying to find what the actual situation at the airport immigration. China Eastern has mentioned that no VISA needed as long as we don't go outside airport during transits.

Loughborough...
reviews: 18
5. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Yes, I know that two stops in China are allowed within 24 hours; I was making a side point that you won't qualify for the 72 hour visa-free period in Shanghai, in case anyone were to recommend that to you.

I gave you the number for Shanghai Airport Immigration, as you requested. Why not give them a call and get the answer from the horse's mouth? But even if they tell you what you want to hear, on the day you might find yourself in front of a less forgiving immigration officer and then you are screwed.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

>> But even if they tell you what you want to hear, on the day you might find yourself in front of a less forgiving immigration officer and then you are screwed.<<

And there are reports on this forum of that happening. Not at PVG but numerous cases at Guangzhou where China Southern have promised hotel accomodation (land side) on long layovers, only for immigration to refuse the passenger entry. In their case it was just a major inconvenience (they had to stay airside for 12-15 hours). In your case, as you're connecting to a domestic flight, being denied entry could be disastrous.

If in doubt, get a visa (and if you have the same >24hr transit on the return make it a multi entry visa). And next time, transit through a country where you have visa free entry clearance (in case of irrops).

LAX
7. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Thanks very much UBT and Danny. I will definitely call the immigration in Shanghai to get info from the horse's mouth directly.

On a side note I will end up spending $800+ for just a stupid chinese visa which I wasn't aware of while booking the tickets and airlines/agents said if u dont exit airport you should be fine.

Also China eastern is a Chinese govt airlines and why did they have such a transit time which is just 1 or 2 hours above the limit -to harass and trouble passengers!!! when they know the law they should have transits <24 hrs in china for international flights or have that info readily available when booking!!!

I am just glad I checked on this website-what if I trusted my airlines' words and just travelled and I am sure there are many passengers who travel thru this itenary daily without info or even with the info the airlines gives(no Chinese visa needed for such transits).

What a mess for choosing china for my transit and china eastern!

UBT if you happen to visit Shanghai/beijing can also ask on my behalf regarding such itenaries?

Also if anyone has recently travelled for such intenaries-Plz share ur exp.

I will call Shanghai immigration too.

Osaka, Japan
8. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Hi,

Can you let me know how your trip ended? Did you need a visa?

I have a similar situation: Osaka-PVG-Kunming-Thailand (the first flight is marketed by China Eastern as Osaka-Kunming with technical stop). Transit time, if counted from landing at Kunming is around 19h in total, but if counted from landing at PVG is 25h40m, just over the 24h limit.

However, the Chinese consulate in Osaka said I don't need visa for that transit (I have an EU passport). I called immigration at Shanghai airport and they reconfirmed that. And I just contacted China Eastern and they told me that, arriving in Shanghai, although leaving China from Kunming, I qualify for the 72h TWOV, so no visa required for this transit.

Although I have the confirmation from the 3 places, I still doubt whether I can have any problem at any point during the journey, so your experience would be highly valuable for me.

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

Here's the "other thread" on this subject, that appears to indicate that these types of transit are okay. Although do double or triple check as the thread below refers to US citizens.

tripadvisor.com/…49462801

Miami
10. Re: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?

I went Shanghai without a visa. I relied on my travel agent who told me I was set. No need for visa. I was knee deep in work and relied on her knowledge. Grrrrrr. I was sent back when I arrived in Shanghai via Russia. Wish they'd ask for visa prior. Worth nightmare ever. A 48 hour horror story. My fault. Anyways tip is always check your own doc. Get visa before. Trust me.

Reply to: LAX-PVG(Shanghai)-KMG(KUNMING)-CCU(India) Chinese visa need?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted