We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amex BA Avios credit card

Alloa, United...
reviews: 1
Amex BA Avios credit card

we are thinking of getting the Amex Avios rewards credit card and I was wondering if anyone had used it and thought it was worth it ? we are looking at rewards CC anyway and are also hoping to go to Las Vegas next September so are considering combining the two .

I realise we wont get enough points to pay for the flights but they would certainly help towards the total and hopefully PE or even business could be affordable

thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Amex BA Avios credit card

I've got a BA branded card, and it's certainly helped in the collecting Avios aspect of spending.

But before booking, keep in mind that using Avios for reward tickets in World Traveller is considered a poor use of Avios. The APD and fuel surcharge (grrrr) will mean a fairly large spend of Avios for a small reward. Ideally, and if there is availability, using Avios to upgrde a paid World Traveller + booking is a good use of the things, as you can upgrade to Club World for only 12,500 Avios per sector.

If availability is thin on the ground (or in the air) from LHR to LAS, look to flights to SFO or PHX. You will very likely be able to book inexpensive flights with Southwest, esp from PHX, to LAS.

If you're willing to spend a lot with the Amex card and pay it off every month, then the acquisition of Avios can be a great perk of using the card.

UK
reviews: 77
2. Re: Amex BA Avios credit card

I have one. There are two variants, that have different spend levels and reward levels (Avios per pound spent). You also get a 241 for Avios flights voucher if you spend enough in a year, how much is enough depends on the card variant. One is free, one is £150 a year. IMO the £150a year isnt worth it unless you spend a lot. You'd have to do the maths, work out what £150 would buy you in miles and then compare that to the extra Avios you'd earn at 1.5 compared to 1 per pound.

When you get one make sure you get it from an offer than gives you bonus Avios to start with.

As TP says, set your expectations correctly though.

Here are the downsides;

Part miles, and certainly all miles, for economy flights, is a complete waste of Avios. Literally.

You also cannot use them (in practice) to upgrade economy to PE.

Best bang for buck is PE to Club upgrade (means you have to buy PE seats.

The route to LAS is very popular, so availability is thin on the ground, you need to book a long way in advance. TP advises looking at going to SFO but IME thats even worse :-)

However, there is no downside to getting one if you get the free one, its 3,000 Avios 'for free' plus any extra Avios earned on spend.

Alloa, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Amex BA Avios credit card

Thanks for the replies, I wouldn't do the card with the fee as I don't spend enough to justify the £150 . As we are looking at Sept next year and we haven't started yet then I don't think we would get that many points before early booking .

We are flexible with dates (we just need to make sure the babysitter is free and willing) so might wait till nearer the time to hopefully build some points up .

Can we book the flights( ie during a sale ) then try and upgrade nearer departure date or do we have to upgrade when we purchase ?

UK
reviews: 77
4. Re: Amex BA Avios credit card

Can we book the flights( ie during a sale ) then try and upgrade nearer departure date or do we have to upgrade when we purchase ?

=======

You can do any of; book in a sale and upgrade in one transaction*, book in a sale and upgrade later, book outside a sale and upgrade in one transaction*, book outside a sale and upgrade later. :-)

All subject to upgrade availability obviously.

* this is a handy option if you are flexible on dates. It makes sure you are buying a seat when there is upgrade availability for sure.

Reply to: Amex BA Avios credit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted