We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International and Internal Flights to the USA

Harlow, United...
reviews: 127
International and Internal Flights to the USA

I am planning a holiday from the UK to USA for May 2014. We (2 adults) will fly from Heathrow to Honolulu. Two weeks later we will fly from Honolulu to Las Vegas. After a road-trip we will fly from Las Vegas back to London Heathrow.

Advice would be much appreciated on how we might obtain the most economical combination of international/ internal flights; which airline(s) to use etc.I appreciate this question may be very general. We have flown to the USA before, but have yet to use domestic U.S. airlines.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
1. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

Go to a travel agent or look at a variety of Web sites, such as Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity, etc., as well as sites of individual airlines. That's what we've had to do. It may work out cheaper than using different airlines for your international and domestic flights. Also, how much you value cost over fewer stops, is important. For example, Hawaiian Airlines flies non-stop from Honolulu to Las Vegas. Many other airlines fly that route with one change of planes. Last February, when we flew from Kona to Portland, we chose Alaska Airlines because in first class their fare was fully refundable. Your criteria would likely be different. Accumulating frequent flyer miles could even be a factor.

Your only domestic flight is Honolulu to Las Vegas. I assume you are set on the international legs. But I checked Expedia for arbitrary dates in February 2014 (wouldn't price May yet), and the cheapest option was United for LHR-HNL (stop at LAX going, and at ORD on the return). Of course, it's early and prices could well change.

Edited: 3:56 pm, May 14, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
2. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

p.s. that was ORD going from LAS to LHR.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

You could price up a multi city itinerary (LHR - Honolulu - Las Vegas - LHR) with the likes of BA or any of the major US carriers such as AA/Delta/United etc.

Another option would be an open jaw ticket (LHR - Honolulu on the outbound leg and Las Vegas - LHR on the inbound leg) with a separate flight from Honolulu to Las Vegas which might give you a wider choice of carriers on this route.

You'll need to price both to see which is cheaper - check matrix to see your options and also look at South West for your internal flight as they don't appear on matrix.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

http://www.southwest.com/

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 94
4. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

How does that road-trip go? LAS to LAS? Will Southwest Airlines be serving Hawaii by 2014?

Here in the US, flights from mainland to/from Hawaii are always more extortionally priced than normal. If Southwest begins service, that should pressure those prices to drop. I don't know if you can get a break by getting those segments packaged into the overall ticket, or if the final pricing is better if you purchase them separately. It's probably worth a look.

If you stay with a single carrier for the entire itinerary, it is a little easier to merge two separate itineraries.

5. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

For Heathrow to Honolulu I'd try LHR-JFK(One of the 95 Billion carriers on the route)-HNL(Hawaiian or American) Hawaiian Airlines is pretty cheap and then have a young new fleet, they where also voted best in the USA not too long ago. For HNL to LAS I'd do Hawaiian unless you want to be cost effective in which I'd take Allegiant Air.

Fortaleza, CE
6. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

If you use two carriers to get from LHR to HNL I'd definitely book them on one itinerary, to protect yourself n case you miss the connection (i.e., get put on the next flight with available seats). I personally wouldn't choose to transit JFK (and switch terminals) in order to hopefully take Hawaiian's one departure to HNL, at 10 a.m. HA has its critics as well as fans www.airlinequality.com/Forum/hawaiian.htm But more important to me would be booking the LHR-HNL and LAS-LHR flights together, ideally on one airline (if that works out cost-wise). HA does seem to be the best option for HNL-LAS (2 flights a day and, unlike many of their competitors, fly from Hawaii to the mainland with widebody jets). . And I'd probably take them, over some of their slightly-lower-cost competitors, for inter-island flights.

Edited: 2:28 pm, May 15, 2013
Harlow, United...
reviews: 127
7. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

Thankyou very much folks, that's great information and gives me some great places to start. We haven't booked any flights yet so we can be totally flexible in how we proceed.

Andy

La Libertad, El...
reviews: 7
8. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

Use non-US airlines for the international portions & smaller US ones for domestic.

9. Re: International and Internal Flights to the USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 22, 2014